No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie outputs very few alignments

Hi,

I am trying to map my contigs, in fasta format, assembled using velvet from a 454 single read data. After the assembly i tried to reconfirm the assembly by mapping it with reference genome.

I selected a reference genome based on 16S phylogenetic analysis, very close relative and I was expecting a good mapping of reference with my assembled contigs.

Unfortunately I received only 0.07% alignment results which was shoking. I cross checked the mapping with SOAP and it also gave me not very different 0.9% overall alignment.

Does it mean I have errors in assembly? Since I am sure that the mapping results can not be 0.07%. OR 16S based comparison is not a good criteria to select reference genomes??

any ideas guyzz??

Bowie outputs very few alignments

Use blast to align your contigs to the reference genome of a related species.

Use bowtie or another aligner to align your 454 reads to the velvet contigs.

It's also quite possible that velvet doesn't do a great job on 454 reads.

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
      Use blast to align your contigs to the reference genome of a related species.

Use bowtie or another aligner to align your 454 reads to the velvet contigs.

It's also quite possible that velvet doesn't do a great job on 454 reads.
      Hi Mastal.

Thanks for your replies. I will try to do what you have suggested.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Recent Developments in Metagenomics
        by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
        09-23-2024, 06:35 AM
      • seqadmin
        Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
        by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
        09-09-2024, 10:59 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 10-02-2024, 04:51 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 10-01-2024, 07:10 AM
      0 responses