No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Paired-ended data to Tophat

Hi,

This should really be an easy thing, but I am getting conflicting advice...so my question is: What is the correct way to input paired-ended (75bp, Illumina Hi-Seq) strand specific data to Tophat? Should I enter the separate file lists for R1 and R2 fastq files? Or should I use a merged file (that is also available for download from our sequencing facility) and input the same file twice?

The first option seems more logical to me, but I have heard and read that if one inputs the same file twice, Tophat should be able to figure out that this is paired-ended data, split it (I assume) and use that.

Does anyone know the correct approach?

Thank you!

From the manual:
    Usage: tophat [options]* <index_base> <reads1_1[,...,readsN_1]> [reads1_2,...readsN_2]

<reads1_1[,...,readsN_1]> A comma-separated list of files containing reads in FASTQ or FASTA format. When running TopHat with paired-end reads, this should be the *_1 ("left") set of files.
    <[reads1_2,...readsN_2]> A comma-separated list of files containing reads in FASTA or FASTA format. Only used when running TopHat with paired end reads, and contains the *_2 ("right") set of files. The *_2 files MUST appear in the same order as the *_1 files.
    So for example:
    Code:
    tophat -o outputDirectoryName -r 50 --library-type fr-unstranded /path/to/genome/reference /path/to/first/read/read_1.fastq /path/to/second/read/read_2.fastq
    Having a quick look at the tophat sourcecode (prep_reads.cpp), it looks like tophat processes reads sequentially, ie. the first read in read_1.fastq has to be the mate of the first read in read_2.fastq. Tophat does not seem to be doing any automatic read mate matching, at least nothing I can see. I think that if you merge the reads into one file and submit it twice as read1 and read2, you will lose synchronisation between the reads, if it works at all. Anyway, the method above is the method suggested in the manual, so I would stick to it.
    To reiterate:
    Should I enter the separate file lists for R1 and R2 fastq files?
    Yes

Comment

Thank you! And thanks for explaining how tophat does this, great to get the background. I'll go ahead and run my samples as separate R1 and R2 files.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 12:17 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
      0 responses