Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good peak finders for methylation data?

Hey all,

I'm back in the nextgen sequencing game for this summer. Working with methylation data for the first time. I have a series of cases and controls of MBD-seq data and would like to find differentially methylated peaks/regions between the two, and additionally I want to simply be able to call peaks in any given sample. Are there any standard peak callers out there that are good for this type of thing (or is there a good review that covers this to some degree)? I would very much appreciate any input.

A good review of genome-wide methylation profiling techniques, including MBD-seq, is

Analysing and interpreting DNA methylation data by Christoph Bock published in Nature Reviews Genetics (http://www.nature.com/nrg/journal/v1...l/nrg3273.html)

As far as I understand, the analysis of MBD-data should be similar to ChIP-Seq, expect
    in MBD-Seq one may need to normalize for CpG density etc.

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
    Hey all,

I'm back in the nextgen sequencing game for this summer. Working with methylation data for the first time. I have a series of cases and controls of MBD-seq data and would like to find differentially methylated peaks/regions between the two, and additionally I want to simply be able to call peaks in any given sample. Are there any standard peak callers out there that are good for this type of thing (or is there a good review that covers this to some degree)? I would very much appreciate any input.

Comment

That is most definitely relevant to my interests! Thanks a ton; I'll go through that tomorrow for sure.

If anyone else has feedback feel free to chime in, of course.

Comment

Alright all, I have fairly thoroughly gone through a decent amount of literature for DMR determination. I'm still curious about peak calling.I have case and control samples (ie, cancer vs. healthy), but otherwise no "background" sample.

It seems like a lot of papers use MACS, with some other programs such as USeq possibly being better in review comparisons with ChIP-Seq data. I have thus far only found one peak caller specifically written with methylation enrichment data in mind (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...eq+Technology\), called BALM, and there they show they can call distinct peaks that are convoluted with better resolution than other callers such as MACS. There are other ways to calculate DMRs without calling peaks but I'm specifically interested in peak calling for the purpose of this thread.

For those of you who have done this and are more knowledgeable than me, have you used BALM, or have you found any other caller that would noticeably be more applicable than MACS?

Comment

Hi Heisman, Did you ever find a solution? I'm looking for something similar now. Thanks~!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:06 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
          0 responses