Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanation for the software "MUMmer"?

I am analyzing paired end reads of several strains of a bacteria along with the ancestor.

Questions that I am trying to answer:

1. Which genes exhibited change between the ancestor and the 3 treatment groups of bacteria (5 replicates)?

2. Are the genes that have changed between ancestor and treatment groups similiar among the treatment groups?

So far this is what I have done:

1. FastQC - report overrepresented sequences
    2. cutadapt - cut adapter sequences
    3. BWA - map to reference
    4. Picard - Process SAM files (Clean, BAM, Sort, MarkDup, AddReadGroups, Merge)
    5. Call SNPs with SAMtools

I left off at step 5 and found the number of SNPs between the 3 treatment groups. But at this point I'm not sure what to do in order to answer my 2 questions.

I was told to use MUMmer. I tried to read the manual, but I have no idea what's going on.

MUMmer is a tool for whole genome alignments and it is not what you need. If you had two whole denovo assembled genomes then you would align them and look for differences. Since you already have the differences from you snp calling, time to move on to thinking about the genes. If you have an annotation, I would use snpEff or something like that. Also, are you sure you have found all the changes? SAMtools will not find things like large in/dels, CNV, or other structural changes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses