Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recprical BLAST might have merit, have you tried on two gold standard species like mouse and human, I'd like to see what gives for a quality score on those.

Comment

Originally posted by rskr View Post
      The recprical BLAST might have merit, have you tried on two gold standard species like mouse and human, I'd like to see what gives for a quality score on those.
      Are you asking me? Yes we have extensively validated it - although we have a somewhat more nuanced approach than just a reciprocal best blast. I'll explain more when the paper is out (currently under review).

I work with plant data mostly. To give you an idea of the sensitivity, the number of RBB hits can range from fewer than 1000 hits to the Rice proteome (single representitive protein for each locus) for a bad assembly of a somewhat related genus like Echinochloa or Cyperus, and for those same genera a really good assembly will get up to about 15-17000 RBB hits. It's a sensitive metric, and it selects against fragmentation.

I'll run mouse v human now.
      Last edited by Blahah404; 09-12-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Hey Blahah404,

Could you help me how to run reciprocal best-hit blast with my transcriptome?
        I tried to find how to run RBH since our discussion, however, I failed to find details how to run it.

Comment

hi kp5091

I put together a quick program called transrate today to analyse transcriptome assemblies. At the moment it just gives you various metrics on a single assembly. There will be a more full version later which allows comparison of multiple assemblies and an overall quality score.

It's on Github here - I hope the instructions are clear. I'll update with more explanation of the metrics soon. Please read the installation instructions, and if you have questions it would be best to open a new thread in the de-novo assembly forum.
          Last edited by Blahah404; 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Blahah404,

At first, thank you for your help to provide good program 'transrate'.
            I tried to install transrate on my macbook pro, however, I was not able to install it because version of Ruby was lower than 1.9.2. So I downloaded RVM and other programs and install higher version of Ruby after overcoming several barriers. (As I told, all my fingers is thumb in computer. ). Also, I finished installation of transcrate on my macbook pro.
            Now, it's time to install Usearch and Bowtie2. I downloaded Usearch for Unix and MacOS. However, I do not have idea how to install it on my macbook pro. Unfortunately, Usearch installation site says that "if you do not know how to install it, you would better ask to colleague who is familiar to computer language. So, could you please help me to how to install Usearch and Bowtie2 on my macbook pro?
            Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Comment

I guess, you might be better off finding a linux box.

Originally posted by kp5091 View Post
              Hi Blahah404,

At first, thank you for your help to provide good program 'transrate'.
              I tried to install transrate on my macbook pro, however, I was not able to install it because version of Ruby was lower than 1.9.2. So I downloaded RVM and other programs and install higher version of Ruby after overcoming several barriers. (As I told, all my fingers is thumb in computer. ). Also, I finished installation of transcrate on my macbook pro.
              Now, it's time to install Usearch and Bowtie2. I downloaded Usearch for Unix and MacOS. However, I do not have idea how to install it on my macbook pro. Unfortunately, Usearch installation site says that "if you do not know how to install it, you would better ask to colleague who is familiar to computer language. So, could you please help me to how to install Usearch and Bowtie2 on my macbook pro?
              Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

I've written up an installation tutorial for linux/unix beginners here: http://blahah.net/bioinformatics/201...ing-transrate/

Please post a comment at the bottom of the tutorial if you have any trouble.

Richard
                Last edited by Blahah404; 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Richard!
                  That looks very helpful and would deserve it's own thread.

Originally posted by Blahah404 View Post
                  Andy,

I've written up an installation tutorial for linux/unix beginners here: http://blahah.net/bioinformatics/201...ing-transrate/

Please post a comment at the bottom of the tutorial if you have any trouble.

Ricahrd

Comment

Thanks luc - I'll make a new thread announcing transrate once I've tidied up the documentation and fixed a few minor bugs.

Andy, I actually agree with luc that you should try using linux. You *can* run most bioinformatics software on OSX, but often it requires extra work. If you start using linux now it will pay off in the long run. You can install linux dual-boot on your Macbook Pro.

Comment

Hi Richard, Thank you very much for helping me to install all softwares. I am now following your instruction for installation of Usearch and Bowtie2 from your blog. However, I get some errors like follows:

ksu-wireless-232-89:~ Andy$ echo $PATH
                      /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/bin:/Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247@global/bin:/Users/Andy/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.0.0-p247/bin:/Users/Andy/.rvm/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/Users/Andy/apps/bin
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:~ Andy$ export PATH=$PATH:/a/new/path
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:~ Andy$ mkdir ~/apps
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:~ Andy$ cd ~/apps/
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ mkdir bin
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ echo "export PATH=$PATH:~/apps/bin" >> ~/.bashrc
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ source ~/.bashrc
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ ls
                      bin
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ cd ~/apps/
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ curl -o usearch http://drive5.com/cgi-bin/upload3.py...02208022513862
                      ######################################################################## 100.0%
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ chmod +x usearch
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ ln -s usearch ~/apps/bin/usearch
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ usearch
                      -bash: usearch: command not found
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ curl -o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bowt...4.zip/download
                      curl: no URL specified!
                      curl: try 'curl --help' or 'curl --manual' for more information
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ curl -o bowtie2.zip http://sourceforge.net/projects/bowt...4.zip/download
                      ######################################################################## 100.0%
                      ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ unzip bowtie2.zip
                      Archive: bowtie2.zip
                      End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
                      a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
                      latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
                      the last disk(s) of this archive.
                      unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of bowtie2.zip or
                      bowtie2.zip.zip, and cannot find bowtie2.zip.ZIP, period.

I think that my PATH looks wrong? or weird? because it looks different with the example on your blog. What do you think about it? Could you help me how to figure out and run well them on my computer?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

Hmm, my fault for various typos in some commands. Sorry about that. I've corrected them on the blog post. To fix your situation, run the following in the terminal:

The first thing to do is to remove the last line we added to your ~/.bashrc file. I don't have a mac here, but this should do it:
                        Code:
                        # check what the last line is
                        tail -2 ~/.bashrc
                        # delete the last line we added to .bashrc (don't do this more than once!)
                        sed -i '' -e '$ d' ~/.bashrc
                        # check that it's gone
                        tail -2 ~/.bashrc
                        You might see an error, but it should still work - you can tell because the last line (output of tail) should have changed after the sed command.

Now we can go through repairing the rest...
                        Code:
                        # add to the PATH
                        echo "export PATH=\$PATH:~/apps/bin" >> ~/.bashrc
                        # load the new PATH
                        source ~/.bashrc
                        # go to ~/apps
                        cd ~/apps/
                        # redownload bowtie
                        curl -L -o bowtie2.zip http://sourceforge.net/projects/bowtie-bio/files/bowtie2/2.1.0/bowtie2-2.1.0-macos-x86_64.zip/download
                        # extract it
                        unzip bowtie2.zip
                        # add symlinks to ~/apps/bin
                        cd ~/apps/bin
                        ln -s ~/apps/bowtie2-2.1.0/bowtie2* .
                        # fix the symlink to usearch
                        ln -sf ~/apps/usearch .
                        Now you should be able to see usearch and bowtie2 symlinked in your ~/apps/bin directory. To check do:

Code:
                        ls ~/apps/bin
                        And then check you've got usearch and bowtie2 in your path by running:

Code:
                        usearch
                        and

Code:
                        bowtie2
                        did that work?
                        Last edited by Blahah404; 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I got another error with commend line you suggested.

ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ sed -i '$ d' ~/.bashrc
                          sed: 1: "/Users/Andy/.bashrc": invalid command code A
                          ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ sed -i '$ d' ~/.bashrc
                          ksu-wireless-232-89:apps Andy$ cd ..
                          ksu-wireless-232-89:~ Andy$ sed -i '$ d' ~/.bashrc

I do not know what does it mean.

Comment

hmm, sed is different on the mac. I've updated the previous post with a command that should work, please try again. Even if you get an error, don't run the sed command more than once without checking what it did.

Comment

Richard,

Thank you so much. Finally, I installed both Usearch and Bowtie2 on my mac.
                              I am now moving on installation of eXpress. Your hands are magic for me.

Andy

Comment

Richard,

I need your help again.
                                I tried to run transrate and got an error message as follows:

ksu-wireless-235-108:ESTs Andy$ transrate --assembly Aa_Trinity_copy.fasta --reference A_americanum.sequence.fasta --threads 4

Analysing assembly: Aa_Trinity_copy.fasta

calculating contig stats...
                                ...done in 45.990717 seconds

no reads provided, skipping read diagnostics

calculating comparative metrics...
                                /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/transrate-0.0.10/lib/transrate/usearch.rb:12:in `initialize': usearch not found in path. Please ensure usearch is installed and aliased as 'usearch' in your path. (RuntimeError)
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/transrate-0.0.10/lib/transrate/comparative_metrics.rb:13:in `new'
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/transrate-0.0.10/lib/transrate/comparative_metrics.rb:13:in `initialize'
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/transrate-0.0.10/bin/transrate:71:in `new'
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/transrate-0.0.10/bin/transrate:71:in `<top (required)>'
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/bin/transrate:23:in `load'
                                from /Users/Andy/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/bin/transrate:23:in `<main>'

Actually,
                                I installed all software that I need to run translate, but I do not know what is wrong with it.

Could you please help me again?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                                0 responses