Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which mapping program is good for RainDance Data

I have a set of target resequencing data obtained from RainDance. Anyone knows which mapping program is good for this type of data? Is it still good to use BWA?

Thanks

Which sequencing platform? What was done to the amplicons to prepare them for sequencing? I think those are two critical questions.

In general, it isn't obvious why RainDance data would map differently. The one thing I have heard anecdotally with targeted sequencing (I'd love to find this in print somewhere) is that it is a huge mistake to map only against your target regions -- map against the entire genome. Otherwise, the aligner may force things to fit that are really off-target (in their presentations & publication, RainDance has remarked on carry-over DNA showing up in the sequencing data)

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
      Which sequencing platform? What was done to the amplicons to prepare them for sequencing? I think those are two critical questions.

In general, it isn't obvious why RainDance data would map differently. The one thing I have heard anecdotally with targeted sequencing (I'd love to find this in print somewhere) is that it is a huge mistake to map only against your target regions -- map against the entire genome. Otherwise, the aligner may force things to fit that are really off-target (in their presentations & publication, RainDance has remarked on carry-over DNA showing up in the sequencing data)
      For targeted sequencing we usually align the data twice: once to the target regions and once to the whole genome. Using your favorite aligner should be no problem given the data is of good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
        For targeted sequencing we usually align the data twice: once to the target regions and once to the whole genome. Using your favorite aligner should be no problem given the data is of good quality.
        How often have you seen a difference in the results? Is it usually around repeats/close paralogs or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post

How do you align the data to the target regions? I have the target region bed file as follows

chr start pos end pos
          chr5 112100483 112101521
          chr5 112118469 112118621
          chr5 112129922 112130006
          chr5 112130785 112130986
          chr5 112139225 112139333
          chr5 112144386 112144499

how to generate a fasta file for the target regions so I can map reads to the target regions?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JCYAO View Post
            How do you align the data to the target regions? I have the target region bed file as follows

chr start pos end pos
            chr5 112100483 112101521
            chr5 112118469 112118621
            chr5 112129922 112130006
            chr5 112130785 112130986
            chr5 112139225 112139333
            chr5 112144386 112144499

how to generate a fasta file for the target regions so I can map reads to the target regions?

Thanks
            For BFAST (I am the author), you can input a list of of regions when creating the indexes ('bfast index -x'). Other alignment software may have similar capabilities, or you may have to create a custom FASTA file.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
              by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
              05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
            • seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:03 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
            0 responses