Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential Coverage

I have been trying to come up with a test for differential coverage, that given a mapping and classes for the samples ranks the genes such that genes with coverage that is as extreme or more extreme than would be predicted by a two parameter beta binomial distribution are ranked at the top. Now I am using a weighted sum over the coverages at each position in a gene, this may be less than ideal(since it doesn't take into account the probability that multiple bases could be extreme simultaneously), however it is ranking the genes in a manner which is intuitively what I expect to see.

In the following image, you can see that my test set has a gene with where the magenta, light blue, and brown colored sample have much more coverage on one end, while the red, blue, and green, don't have a jump in coverage.

Will something like this be useful? I think it will help researchers doing RNA-seq get more out of their data, than just gene level expression. Right now, I think the draw back is that the p-value if you can call it that is, essentially testing the hypothesis "Are there any genes that are more extreme", which is essentially an OR relationship, so the probabilities aren't quite as significant as one might expect, though the ranking seems to be good.

Attached Files

How is the weighting being done? Are you thinking that this might be useful to detect differences in 3' bias between samples or is this geared more toward seeing if a given gene in one sample seems to have a bunch of PCR duplicates being aligned to it?

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      How is the weighting being done? Are you thinking that this might be useful to detect differences in 3' bias between samples or is this geared more toward seeing if a given gene in one sample seems to have a bunch of PCR duplicates being aligned to it?
      I am hoping that bias/duplicates between samples isn't a factor, though I could imagine a situation where samples were run at slightly different temperatures causing there to be bias due to differences in GC vs AT melting temperatures for example.

I am hoping that it will find truncations or differential exon coverage, though I suppose it could also be used to determine the quality of the sequencing in conjunction with the differential expression tests.

Comment

I expect that most truncations would be picked up by DEXseq or similar tools, though I guess if there's some sort of systematic truncation of exons in a group of genes, that would likely be missed by the current methods (I can't think of a case when this would biologically occur, but I guess no one has actually looked!).

By "differential exon coverage", do you mean coverage within a given exon or more what's done in DEXSeq (I assume the former). I suppose someone will find a case where that's changed due to some sort of treatment, though I wonder how the effect of that is separated from more general differences in library quality (though perhaps you've thought about that).

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          I expect that most truncations would be picked up by DEXseq or similar tools, though I guess if there's some sort of systematic truncation of exons in a group of genes, that would likely be missed by the current methods (I can't think of a case when this would biologically occur, but I guess no one has actually looked!).

By "differential exon coverage", do you mean coverage within a given exon or more what's done in DEXSeq (I assume the former). I suppose someone will find a case where that's changed due to some sort of treatment, though I wonder how the effect of that is separated from more general differences in library quality (though perhaps you've thought about that).
          I think DEXseq doesn't use base level information.

Comment

True, I guess it'll depend on how your weighting is done and how big exons are. If all the weighting is done within an exon then you're right, DEXSeq won't see any difference there.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:06 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
            0 responses