No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plink: Problem connecting to web

Dear all,
    I am using plink but it cannot connect to the web (error message: "Problem connecting to web"). Usually that doesn't matter but now I'd like to use plink's annotation function ("Connecting to web... failed connection"). Do you know how to fix that?
    Thanks a lot!

You could just use
    Code:
    --noweb
    at the end of the command line to get it to work without the phone home option.
    Last edited by vivek_; 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately, that doesn't help me. I do want to connect to the web to use plink's annotation function (e.g. --lookup-gene).

Comment

can you connect to the web via other means (e.g. 'wget http://www.gringene.org')? I can't recall how plink connects to the web, but presumably if it can't do a version check then it also can't do the lookup-gene function.

Comment

Even if you have good internet connection, Plink's annotation function will not work. That function is relying on an external database and it has been not woking for at least two years.

Comment

Originally posted by yl01 View Post
            Even if you have good internet connection, Plink's annotation function will not work. That function is relying on an external database and it has been not woking for at least two years.
            Indeed. You should use PLINK/SEQ for this function instead; the current plan is to drop it entirely from PLINK 1.9. (In the unlikely event that the PLINK/SEQ implementation is meaningfully worse for your application than what PLINK used to do, let me know and I'll look into the matter more closely.)

Comment

Dear all, thanks a lot. Using PLINK/SEQ instead is a good idea.

Comment

PLINK : can be used on the other species?

does anyone have the experience of using Plink on the other species beside human? I don't find the limitation description about the PLINK. I want to obtain help. Thanks!

Comment

PLINK 1.07 has limited support for nonhuman species via the --dog, --horse, --cow, --sheep, --rice, and --mouse flags; see http://pngu.mgh.harvard.edu/~purcell....shtml#species .

PLINK 1.9 is backwards-compatible with those flags, but also supports other user-defined chromosome sets with the --chr-set flag.

Comment

Originally posted by chrchang View Post
                    PLINK 1.07 has limited support for nonhuman species via the --dog, --horse, --cow, --sheep, --rice, and --mouse flags; see http://pngu.mgh.harvard.edu/~purcell....shtml#species .

PLINK 1.9 is backwards-compatible with those flags, but also supports other user-defined chromosome sets with the --chr-set flag.
                    Thank you very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses