No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastq data compression with pigz

Hi,

so far we compress a large number of giant fastq files using gzip. I just come upon this parallel version
    of gzip called pigz:

written by the same guy who wrote zlib and gzip itself:

It is about to 3.8x faster on 4 cores machine than gzip.

Before falling for it head first, simple question: does anybody used it for some time without problems?

Best,

Darek

Originally posted by darked89 View Post
    Hi,

so far we compress a large number of giant fastq files using gzip. I just come upon this parallel version
    of gzip called pigz:

written by the same guy who wrote zlib and gzip itself:

Before falling for it head first, simple question: does anybody used it for some time without problems?

Best,

Darek
    Note that there is no speed up upon decompression. For archiving, we use pbzip2 which runs with multiple threads when compressing and decompressing. The only issue is that some programs (i.e. aligners) support reading directly from gzip or bzip2 compressed files. In this case, it is much faster (in the aligner code) to decompress gzip files since the reading is typically not multi-threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      Note that there is no speed up upon decompression. For archiving, we use pbzip2 which runs with multiple threads when compressing and decompressing. The only issue is that some programs (i.e. aligners) support reading directly from gzip or bzip2 compressed files. In this case, it is much faster (in the aligner code) to decompress gzip files since the reading is typically not multi-threaded.
      Thank you. It is always good to know that others are using non-standard compressors and do not run into problems because of that.

Once I get back to my office in a week or so I will try to do some benchmarking of gzip/bzip2 in single/multi-threded versions. I was also thinking about adding two other algorithms:

lzop (the very fast one) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lzop
      xz (faster than (single-threaded) bzip2 and producing smaller files) http://tukaani.org/xz/

It will be good to create a list of programs able to use various compressed formats. I am aware of ABYSS able to use gz, bz2 or xz, and there should be few others happy with fastq.gz.

Darek

Comment

There are several very good benchmarks on compression algorithms with various input. You can google them. Personally, I prefer gzip because:

1) It is open source and has good APIs (as well as bzip2/lzop/xz).

2) It is widely available (as well as bzip2).

3) It achieves reasonable compression ratio (as well as bzip2).

4) It is very fast on decompression, several times faster than bzip2.

The last point makes gzip much more practical than bzip2 because we usually compress once but decompress many times. A few people asked me why BAM is gzip'ed but not bzip2'ed which has better compression ratio. The last point is the leading reason.

Comment

Originally posted by darked89 View Post
          of gzip called pigz:

Yes, I've been using it for about a year for compression tasks eg. compressing illumina fastq files. On our 8 core SMP system it is about 7.6x faster - GZIP definitely seems CPU bound rather than I/O bound.

Comment

You might also want to try my program genozip. It is usually compresses FASTQ 2x-5x better than gzip/pigz/xz/bzip2.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses