No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nr database fungi

Dear All,

how can I filter out only fungi hits from the nr protein database?
    Thanks a lot

Pol2021 I used to do some mycology work so I'll try to help. Filtering out only fungal hits from the NCBI's non-redundant (nr) protein database should be relatively easy.

If you're using NCBI's BLAST or similar tools, you can restrict your search to fungi by including a taxonomic identifier in your query. For fungi, the taxonomic ID is `4751`. Your query might include something like `txid4751[Organism:exp]` to restrict to fungal organisms.

If you have downloaded the nr database locally and are using tools like BLAST+ or other sequence analysis software, you can create a custom database that includes only fungal sequences.

- Download the taxonomic information from NCBI.
    - Extract the identifiers for fungal sequences (you'll again use the taxonomic ID `4751`).
    - Create a custom database using only those identifiers.

Another way would be to run your analysis against the full nr database and then filter the results using the taxonomic information.
    - BLAST results, for example, can include taxonomic information if you format the database with the appropriate taxonomy files.
    - You would then post-process the results to include only hits that are classified under the taxonomic ID for fungi.

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

Dear BasesBreaker,

thanks a lot for the feedback. Yes, I use NCBI BLAST, and I also have the nr database already locally. Indeed the ID is the way, but can you give the command line to do that? The above options 1 or 2 are fine, but I cant define a command line that does that, Thank you.

Comment

dear Pol2021 could you tell me please if you found the command line that permits to
        - Download the taxonomic information from NCBI.
        - Extract the identifiers for fungal sequences (you'll again use the taxonomic ID `4751`).
        - Create a custom database using only those identifiers.​

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses