No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contig assembly question Mauve + RAST

Hi All,

Wondering if you can help me out. I want to carry out comparative genome analysis of two bacterial species. For one of the species the annotated whole genome sequence is available on genbank. The other however is only available as contigs. I presume these contigs on genbank are not in order therefore I need to put them in the correct order.

I have tried using Mauve contig mover to do this but keep getting an error message and the run is terminated.

I have annotated the unordered contigs on RAST and can compare this to my reference genome (the species I have a complete genome sequence for)...does this now mean that my contigs are in the correct order or do I still need to put them in the correct order before uploading to RAST?

What is the error message you get with Mauve contig mover? Most I got were memory issues, but not with ordering a bacterial genome. I solved those by using Mauve from the command line. This also is possible for the contig mover, and is described here: http://asap.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve-ali...t-genomes.html

You could also just use progressiveMauve with your complete and contig reference, which will show you if the contigs are ordered or not. Because ordering the contigs after the other reference when they already have been ordered might result in loosing rearrangements.

Comment

Thanks for the reply sBeier.

This the error message I am getting

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
      Exited with error code: 3"

I will try with pregressiveMauve and see what happens

Comment

What is directly before the error you quoted? Is this maybe "Storing raw sequence at [some path]"? Then, running Mauve from command line with higher memory might really help.

Comment

Storing raw sequence at C:\Users\04550510\AppData\Local\Temp\rawC89.tmp

I'm a biologist...any bioinformatics or computer stuff absolutely baffles me!

Comment

That looks a lot like a memory problem! With the command line from the link I gave above, "-Xmx500m" is where you set the memory used. You might have to change it appropriate for the hardware you are running it on. (the small m is "Mb" a g would be "Gb", so -Xmx1g would use 1 Gb of memory)

Comment

You lost me at command line.

Is it that I need to increase the memory on my computer? I tried to open the Mauve.jar file to carry out the commandline function but it won't open as there's not enough memory.

Thanks so much for all your help

Comment

Is there any other program I can use that will allow me to check if the contigs are in the right order?

Comment

At the link I gave you the exact command on how to use the contig mover in command line is given. You might have to give the full path to your Mauve.jar. This is nothing you "open" by clicking on it and having something pop up, you need to type in the command in whatever representation of a terminal you have in your operating system. This is pretty hard to explain not knowing how much you know about computers or Mauve.
                  I meant not that you need to increase the memory on your computer, you need to increase the memory Java (and thus, Mauve) is allowed to use.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses