Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphaned Reads from Illumina Hiseq?

What biologically and technically orphaned reads do mean?
    Is in term of quality the orphan reads should be discarded from data?
    __Bach__

Are you referring to read(s) that you are unable to map back to a reference that you know they *should* map to?

Comment

After quality or adapter trimming paired-end reads, one of the pairs may be discarded and the remaining read is often referred to as an orphaned read.

Comment

That can be the "technical" orphan.

If it does not match a reference it is supposed to then does that make it a "biological" orphan?

Comment

I Think so, if this single read (forward or reverse) does not have a similar in a reference database, it could be a biological orphan, but it might be a unknown sequence form the "unseen majority"

what I am not understanding, why does the paired end technology of Illumina produce these "technical orphan"? is it a matter of coverage? or library enrichment?

thanks four your replies

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          That can be the "technical" orphan.

If it does not match a reference it is supposed to then does that make it a "biological" orphan?
          __Bach__

Comment

Originally posted by Bachbioinfo View Post

what I am not understanding, why does the paired end technology of Illumina produce these "technical orphan"? is it a matter of coverage? or library enrichment?
            It is not the technology that produces these technical orphans, but treatment of the data. If you have a forward and reverse read of a single pair and the forward read has low quality and/or adapter sequence, you would remove that sequence from the set. That would leave the reverse sequence as a "technical" orphan, if that is what we are calling it.

Comment

Thanks, I catch it, is a matter of data treatment and quality filter
              My question was so naive, I did not pay attention for the data source whether are filtred or not. Excuse me for this kind of questions and thanks for clarifying
              __Bach__

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
              0 responses