Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fbarreto
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 15

    #1

    Performing many pairwise alignments

    Hi all,

    I've stumbled into an issue in my analysis for which I haven't been able to think of a single solution.
    I have ~4,000 distinct pairs of orthologous sequences, and I would like to have global alignments for each pair. I am not interested in a multiple sequence alignment, but simply distinct pairwise alignments. In papers with similar-sized data sets, authors have briefly mentioned that they used standard alignment programs, like ClustalW, MUSCLE, or T-Coffee. However, short of inputing each pair of sequences at a time into these programs (i.e. thousands of inputs!), I haven't been able to understand how that can be done in those programs. As far as I can tell, the set of sequences one supplies as input will undergo a multiple sequence alignment.

    Am I missing something in how to use those programs for this problem? Or is this an issue that must be dealt with Perl programming?

    Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!
  • simonandrews
    Simon Andrews
    • May 2009
    • 870

    #2
    This sounds like a situation where you really need a script. You don't say how your data is currently structured, but you'll probably only need a very simple script to automate the submission of 4000 jobs to any alignment program.

    Of course your next problem will be what to do with 4000 pairwise alignments, so you'll probably need a script for that too eventually...

    Comment

    • maubp
      Peter (Biopython etc)
      • Jul 2009
      • 1544

      #3
      Try needleall from EMBOSS 6.2.0 or later for many-to-many Needleman-Wunsch global alignment:

      Comment

      • fbarreto
        Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 15

        #4
        Thanks! That helps a lot! I tried EMBOSS's needleall, and it does wonderfully in aligning pairs, but I still need to do some scripting to parse that output. Eventually, I want to have each alignment in Phylip format for PAML.

        Cheers!

        Comment

        • maubp
          Peter (Biopython etc)
          • Jul 2009
          • 1544

          #5
          The EMBOSS tools support a range of output files, but you may still need some scripting...

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          29 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          24 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...