No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performing many pairwise alignments

Hi all,

I've stumbled into an issue in my analysis for which I haven't been able to think of a single solution.
    I have ~4,000 distinct pairs of orthologous sequences, and I would like to have global alignments for each pair. I am not interested in a multiple sequence alignment, but simply distinct pairwise alignments. In papers with similar-sized data sets, authors have briefly mentioned that they used standard alignment programs, like ClustalW, MUSCLE, or T-Coffee. However, short of inputing each pair of sequences at a time into these programs (i.e. thousands of inputs!), I haven't been able to understand how that can be done in those programs. As far as I can tell, the set of sequences one supplies as input will undergo a multiple sequence alignment.

Am I missing something in how to use those programs for this problem? Or is this an issue that must be dealt with Perl programming?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This sounds like a situation where you really need a script. You don't say how your data is currently structured, but you'll probably only need a very simple script to automate the submission of 4000 jobs to any alignment program.

Of course your next problem will be what to do with 4000 pairwise alignments, so you'll probably need a script for that too eventually...

Comment

Try needleall from EMBOSS 6.2.0 or later for many-to-many Needleman-Wunsch global alignment:

Comment

Thanks! That helps a lot! I tried EMBOSS's needleall, and it does wonderfully in aligning pairs, but I still need to do some scripting to parse that output. Eventually, I want to have each alignment in Phylip format for PAML.

Cheers!

Comment

The EMBOSS tools support a range of output files, but you may still need some scripting...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
            by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
            08-27-2024, 04:44 AM
          • seqadmin
            Selecting and Optimizing mRNA Library Preparations
            by seqadmin

Sequencing mRNA provides a snapshot of cellular activity, allowing researchers to study the dynamics of cellular processes, compare gene expression across different tissue types, and gain insights into the mechanisms of complex diseases. “mRNA’s central role in the dogma of molecular biology makes it a logical and relevant focus for transcriptomic studies,” stated Sebastian Aguilar Pierlé, Ph.D., Application Development Lead at Inorevia. “One of the major hurdles for...
            08-07-2024, 12:11 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 08-27-2024, 04:40 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 08-22-2024, 05:00 AM
          0 responses