No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programs for cross-species ESTs to genomic sequences alignment

Hello,

I need to align a set of EST sequences from one species to the genomic sequences from a related species. I heard that there are several programs can do this, e.g. SIM4db, C(X)AT and Pairagon etc. I wonder anyone has any experience on using these software and which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Tophat, Newbler, and BLAT are designed for this and are commonly used

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBadger View Post
      Tophat, Newbler, and BLAT are designed for this and are commonly used
      Hi Jackie,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. But I heard that BLAT is designed for within-species alignment, i.e. it requires high sequence similarity. In my case, the sequences from two species could be quite divergent. I am not very sure whether it would be very suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidy View Post
        Hi Jackie,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. But I heard that BLAT is designed for within-species alignment, i.e. it requires high sequence similarity. In my case, the sequences from two species could be quite divergent. I am not very sure whether it would be very suitable.
        That is correct, I think BLAT expects the query and target to be nearly identical. I would use the est2genome model from exonerate. It (exonerate) is very flexible in terms of the output formats. There is also a program called 'est2genome' that is a part of EMBOSS.

Comment

hmmm...BLAT can be used between species as there is a mismatch switch. But indeed this depends how different the genomes are.
          My main problem with BLAT is that it can be a pain

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBadger View Post
            hmmm...BLAT can be used between species as there is a mismatch switch. But indeed this depends how different the genomes are.
            My main problem with BLAT is that it can be a pain
            I stand corrected. A quick search shows that the original paper does describe cross-species alignments. Though, I didn't check in detail (just glanced the abstract) it is worth considering what level of divergence is expected. I haven't used BLAT very much myself (I, too remember it being difficult), but I have used exonerate quite a bit for cross-species EST alignment.

Comment

@kaidy: Can you clarify if these are NGS sequences (short) or have they been assembled into longer contigs? If the species are very divergent then something like lastz would be worth a try.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 05-02-2024, 08:06 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
              0 responses