Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kasutubh
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 25

    #1

    Aligning contigs w.rt reference sequence

    Hello everyone,

    I am posting a very basic question. I am sorry if this is a repetition..but please give me an answer. We have sequenced some BAC clones and are now in the process of aligning them. I have tried some programs but haven't really found what I need. I need a single handed tool wherein,
    A. I can see the exact location (co-ordinates) where my contigs are aligning with respect to the reference genome.
    B. Some of contigs are small but I wish to use them as well. Is there any assembler in which I can select and choose these parameters?
    C. We have also carried some SOLiD sequencing and I need the above program to open and use these reads for aligning sequences as well. (we are thinking to use these reads to fill the gaps/extend the sequences)

    I would really be thankful if anyone helps me out,

    Thanks a ton in advance!

    Kaustubh Gokhale.
  • drio
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 323

    #2
    So you are aligning the data from those BACs and then assembling the aligned data?

    Try mosaik. It will generate an ace file with all the contigs. You should be able to pull reads from SOLiD too into the assembly.

    Let me know how it goes.
    -drd

    Comment

    • KevinLam
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 204

      #3
      Phrap/ Consed might be able to help you as well.
      http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

      Comment

      • bioinfosm
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 483

        #4
        Mira is a good assembler for multiple types of data. How long are the contigs? You could probably use BLAT
        --
        bioinfosm

        Comment

        • kasutubh
          Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 25

          #5
          Thank you for suggestions-next problem!

          Hello again and thank you for your suggestions! I shall try to use them and come up with something. Meanwhile I am facing problems with the installation of Mosaik. I have a XP-Home edition system, upon installation, following error code appears,

          'This application has failed to start because application configuration is incorrect.'

          Any help?

          Thanks in advance!

          Kaustubh Gokhale.

          Comment

          • lh3
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 686

            #6
            I do not know the characteristic of your data. But if you want to align >10kb contigs to a few Gbp genome, my program bwasw (a component of bwa) is the most efficient. Blat is also ok if you only have one BAC. You will find mosaik/ssaha2 too slow for this task.

            Comment

            • kasutubh
              Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 25

              #7
              Thank you 'Ih3'! I've to align 7 individual BACs to ~1.2 Mb reference region! I shall try out bwasw. where can I download it?

              Comment

              • lh3
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 686

                #8
                At this scale, you do not need bwasw. You may just use blat. If you prefer higher accuracy, try cross_match (it is slower though). If you are interested in bwasw anyway:

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                0 responses
                13 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                37 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                28 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                48 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...