Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging FastQ files from different runs into one?

Hi guys,

I have simple small question. I was wondering if it would be fine to merge 4 runs into one fastq.gz file.

The 4 fastq files have one SRR: SRA010305

There are 4 fastq files on http://trace.ddbj.nig.ac.jp/DRASearc...?acc=SRX014987 and http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/data/view/SRX014987

I will use the the following code:

cat file 1.fastq 2.fastq 3.fastq 4.fastq > merged.fastq

or should I run tophat separately on each of the files.

I am looking for differential of expression between the different organs.

Thank you in advance.

I think you should run tophat(and/or any other aligner) seperately for each sample. This will create an alignment file(SAM/BAM format) for each sample.
    Then use other programs for DEG profiling. Since there are so many methods to do that, you might as well do some more in-forum searching

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply. That sounds great.

I did some trimming of these data sets separately and did it combined. It was just to do a compare and contrast. I will now go with doing it separately. Anyway, it seems that I am able to get 16 nucleotide length for the samples. This seems awfully short to use tophat or is it fine?

Thank you again.

PS: I was using trimmomatic to trim the data sets.

Comment

Yes. Yueluo is quite right. Don't merge fastq files. Alignment them separately and then merge BAM or SAM files. It will take less time since alignment can be accelerated with separate Fastq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
          by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
          09-09-2024, 10:59 AM
        • seqadmin
          Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
          by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
          08-27-2024, 04:44 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:25 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 01:02 PM
        0 responses