No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA Seq differing Read Number

Hi,

First off all, I want to thank you for this nice forum in general. I already learned a lot!

I´ve got a question concerning differing readnumbers between biological replicates. We want to analyse differential expression in two different tissues from maize.

First we started with one replicate only, to test the whole procedure and to have a first glance on potential results.
    After a evaluation of this first dataset, we decided to go on and sequenced additional replicates afterwards.

so, now we have one replicate with around 70 million reads and another replicate with around 30 million reads. I did some checks and we are quite sure that 30 million reads are sufficient to do the anylsis. So would you be concerned about the different read numbers? Or would you try to sample the first one down?

As far as I understood, the RPKM value would take this into account. But I am not sure if it is also ok for the EdgeR analysis, since it uses total counts, right?

Sorry if this question is redundant or stupid; but I am really a Greenhorn

The first step performed by edgeR is normalization of the samples relative to the sequencing depth (i.e. total number of reads). This "is always present, and doesn’t require any user intervention." (edgeR manual)

On an unrelated note, you should be wary of any batch effect when analyzing samples that were not processed together. The batch effect is definitely less of an issue in next-generation sequencing than for microarrays, but it may still be present.

Comment

Thank you very much blancha! That is what i hoped to hear .

We are aware of potential batch effects and did a correlation analysis to check this. The correlation between the replicates in tissue 1 is 0,9 which is not great; but ok, since the praparation of this tissue is not trivial. The replicates of Tissue 2 show a correlation of 0,95 (both based in RPKM).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
        by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
        06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
      • seqadmin
        Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
        by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
        “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
        05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:58 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 06-06-2024, 08:18 AM
      0 responses