No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanger squencing

Dear Friends,

Hey I have just started to use data of saner seqencer(DNA analyser 370). I want to generate contig from forward and reverse sequence. I am very confuse that which assembler should I use. Is there anyone who has exaperience? I want free version tools only.

Thank you for viewing and replying.
    Best Regard

phred/phrap

Comment

cap3
      http://seq.cs.iastate.edu/
      http://genome.cshlp.org/content/9/9/868.full

Comment

Depending on the number of sequences, but for low input I'd go for Staden Package, http://staden.sourceforge.net/

Consed is a fine package (we used here for +10 years), but requires some experience in both setting up software in an Unix environment and the actual assembly itself.

my 2p.

Comment

Thank you for replying,

I have used both phred and cap3. This two are not perfect for my data and even not giving full contigs so is there any other tool which i can use?

Comment

What's wrong with the other candidates mentioned?

Comment

Hello All,

I want to add a question.

I have forward and reverse sequence of amplified microsatellite region. Can we use the reverse complement option for forward sequence and assemble it with reverse sequence? I am asking this because I get the expected SSR motif by doing so. I will appreciate if anyone would answer this.

Comment

Originally posted by niraj29 View Post
                Hello All,

I want to add a question.

I have forward and reverse sequence of amplified microsatellite region. Can we use the reverse complement option for forward sequence and assemble it with reverse sequence? I am asking this because I get the expected SSR motif by doing so. I will appreciate if anyone would answer this.
                I don't see why not unless you are doing some sort of directional sequencing. Forward plus rev-comp of the reverse will equal the rev-comp of the forward plus reverse.

Comment

Thanks Rick !

Isn't it possible that the same sequence either forward or reverse could have the expected motif and its complement motif. For example AAATAAATAAAT_____________ATTTATTTATTTATTT (FORWARD sequence)

If this could be the case then it is also possible that there is no real expected motif in the forward sequence and when we reverse complement the forward sequence ATTT converts to AAAT. Isn't it?

Comment

If I understand your question, then yes, the motif and its complement could be in the forward strand. Doing a rev-comp of the forward strand would indeed bring back the motif and its complement.

Comment

In some of my forward sequences there are only complementary motif. There is no expected motif. This is the real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by niraj29 View Post
                        In some of my forward sequences there are only complementary motif. There is no expected motif. This is the real problem.
                        I am not sure if I correctly understand the issue. If you have cloned your PCR amplicons non-directionally into a vector then using vector primers for sequencing can result in sequencing forward or reverse strand. If you are sequencing amplicons directly using amplification primers you should get forward sequence with forward primer.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                        0 responses