No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools Depth

Hey Guys,

I have just installed samtools on the command line and am messing around with the features. One thing I am curious about is deletion detection. Specifically, I am looking to use the depth function with position arguments to check coverage at a specific point. The function however seems to return a list of all locations and their associated depth. Is what I am looking for possible, or do you have to digest the entire data first?

Also, if anyone has good documentation I would appreciate that, as I could not locate any with a quick search. Kind regards, J

Samtools does have a really great, almost instant, access to any region of the .bam file because of it's .bai index file.

If you want to extract coverage at a specific point in your genome, then take a look at the samtools depth usage information.

Code:
    Usage: samtools depth [options] in1.bam [in2.bam [...]]
    Options:
       -b <bed>            list of positions or regions
       -f <list>           list of input BAM filenames, one per line [null]
       -l <int>            minQLen
       -q <int>            base quality threshold
       -Q <int>            mapping quality threshold
       -r <chr:from-to>    region
    The -r option is the one with which you get coverage report of a specific region.

For example:
    Code:
    samtools depth -r chr1:10000-20000 mymapping.bam
    Will extract the coverage information between 10000-20000 bp for the >chr1 entry from mymapping.bam file.

Check out samtools' webpage for more info:

Comment

Thanks very much! Really Useful

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses