No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbi-dump

Hi all!

I am running abi-dump to convert a SRA file DRR013277.sra into ABI format.
    my cmd is simply:

abi-dump DRR013277.sra

but some errors were encountered :
    2014-09-10T04:15:44 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: transfer unknown while reading file within file system module - system I/O error - likely broken pipe
    2014-09-10T04:16:03 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: transfer unknown while reading file within file system module - system I/O error - likely broken pipe
    2014-09-10T04:16:12 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: transfer unknown while reading file within file system module - system I/O error - likely broken pipe
    2014-09-10T04:16:42 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: transfer unknown while reading file within file system module - system I/O error - likely broken pipe
    2014-09-10T04:16:46 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: transfer unknown while reading file within file system module - system I/O error - likely broken pipe
    2014-09-10T04:16:46 abi-dump.2.3.5 err: data corrupt while executing function within transform module - failed DRR013277.sra

Could anyone help me figure out what's wrong ?
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by linp5; 09-10-2014, 02:25 AM. Reason: type error

Have you tried providing full file path to DRR013277.sra (even though you may be in the directory where the file is located)? It sounds counter intuitive but works at times.

Comment

It rather looks to me as if something with your sra file is wrong. Are you sure the download finished successfully? How big is your file? It should be 5.646.779.371 bytes.

Comment

Thank you!

I have checked the file size:
        -rw-rw-r-- 1 linp linp 5646779371 Sep 10 11:36 DRR013277.sra

I also tried to run the cmd using full file path.
        But it failed again.

Please let me know if anyone have some opinions.
        Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi,
          As I actually need some colorspace data for testing, I downloaded the file. Although it took the program 3h to unpack the file, no errors occurred:

Code:
          /usr/local/sratoolkit.2.3.5-ubuntu64/bin/abi-dump ./DRR013277.sra 
          Read 130133653 spots for ./DRR013277.sra
          Written 130133653 spots for ./DRR013277.sra
          Have you ever used the sratoolkit before? Did it work? What is your Linux-dist?

Comment

Thank you!

my linux dist is
            Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64)

I did not use abi-dump before.

Comment

Originally posted by linp5 View Post
              Thank you!

my linux dist is
              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64)

I did not use abi-dump before.
              And you're using the pre-compiled binaries of the toolkit from here (http://ftp-trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sr...buntu64.tar.gz)?
              It would be surprising - although not totally unlikely - that the toolkit doesn't work under 14.04 ... You could try to use the fastq-dumb (or any other) command from the toolkit on an appropriate file (eg https://trace.ddbj.nig.ac.jp/DRASear...?acc=SRR504687)

If this doesn't work, I would build it from source or write to the NCBI help desk and ask them if they can provide a fix.
              Last edited by WhatsOEver; 09-11-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

I just saw that NCBI provides a small sra file to test the toolkit http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/s...&run=SRR390728

Test fastq-dumb on that file; if this doesn't work, something with your toolkit binaries is wrong

Comment

File available from SRA appears to be good (sometimes archives are corrupt at source). WhatsOEver's suggestion is the best option to check on (i.e. sratoolkit binaries being used must have some problem).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses