Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA and masking the reference genome

I am using BWA to align paired end Illumina reads to a published reference (where each of our target species' chromosomes is represented as a large scaffold). However, there appears to be a large colinear stretch representing about 70% of the chloroplast in one of these scaffolds. As recovering the chloroplast is a major goal of my analysis, I am thinking about masking this region of the scaffold in question (when I do the alignment and don't mask, I get very low coverage of the cp after filtering out ambiguous reads).

I know I can mask the reference using bedtools and I think in this case I want to use hard masking (replace with Ns) but I am wondering if this will achieve the desired result: e.g. BWA will not allow any reads to map to this region. Can anyone clarify how BWA treats masked regions of the reference?

Thanks!

Yes, if you hard mask then you'll get no alignments to that region. That seems like a reasonable thing to do given your goals, though keep in mind that if there are stretches of genomic DNA that have relatively high homology to the chloroplast sequence then you'll get a somewhat increased false-positive alignment rate. The alternative is to not mask and then just extract the ambiguous alignments to that region and then convert them back to fastq (presumably for assembly).
    Last edited by dpryan; 09-18-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks dpryan! That answers my question.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses