Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circos graphs for transcriptomes

I'm trying to plot two of my datasets (transcriptomes) against an available genome in a circos graph to visualise regions of overlap/similairity etc. I have been looking into a program named Circos, however it doesn't look like it can be done using this program.

Has anyone created visualisations for transcriptomic data in the form of circos graphs?

You can find some examples of Circos beeing used for transcriptome visualisation on their page:

http://circos.ca/images/published/

Comment

hi Shorash,
      Circos is data agnostic and needs to be told what to be plotted where. If you have your transcript mappings, lets say start & end coords, then use the highlights feature of Circos. In the example/etc/ directory of Circos folder, look into the circos.conf file.

Look for a block of code like this where the type = highlight -
      Specifics can be different.

<plot>
      type = highlight
      file = data/Some_coords.txt
      r0 = 0.80r
      r1 = 0.85r
      fill_color = dred
      stroke_thickness = 1p
      stroke_color = vdred
      </plot>

The file being referred to is in the example/data/ directory of Circos main folder.
      The data format being like -

hs11 3393778 3393865
      hs12 93894557 93895672

This should get you started. The coordinates being passed could be anything. Circos would just plot it like in this image (sort of) -

This should get you started

Comment

With due respect, if your goal is to produce a plot which shows the overlaps/similarities of two transcriptomes, I'm not sure a Circos plot is the answer. If the transcriptomes are from different organisms or strains, you'd essentially be comparing two sets of transcriptomes aligned to the same reference genome -- and I imagine that most of the genome would be empty. The image linked above is what I envisioned as well, which shows a lot of tiny colored features which may or may not be overlapping any other tiny colored features. To me, that isn't using Circos to the fullest.
        You'd likely want to process your data further -- if the comparison is what you want to show, you may need to produce data which represents that comparison, then plot that. For example, instead of plotting two tracks across an entire genome and hoping the eye will pick out shared/unique regions, create one track which already represents which regions are shared and unique. Even then, this sort of plot seems aimed at showing whether large collective regions of a genome are mostly shared or mostly not shared. In the event that the shared/unique regions are randomly scattered across the genome (my guess) then this plot is going to look like a really beautiful representation of random noise. I suppose that has its own benefits...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:06 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
        0 responses