Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which file system is the best for NGS???

Does it really make a difference???

Or people just use the standard ones like NTFS, ext3???

Do people use Lustre? It seems to be designed for cluster computing.

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post

It does. If you are not running in a clustered environment (or if the cluster is small) I would suggest ZFS only, a recent build possibly. data deduplication, data compression, easy maintenance and a lot of other stuff. There may be problems in porting apps on OS which support ZFS.

Comment

Well, if you are using NTFS, that implies you are using Windows, which is probably a mistake

As for Unix, we use XFS and sometimes EXT3 on our RAID volumes. And that means all our volumes. You wouldn't not use RAID would you?

Ultimately the filesystem won't be your bottleneck, it will be the underlying disk subsystem. If you can't get the data sets into RAM fast enough, you won't be using your CPUs at maximum. The filesystem won't help too much. Most of the files are large and read sequentially.

Comment

Originally posted by Torst View Post
          Well, if you are using NTFS, that implies you are using Windows, which is probably a mistake

As for Unix, we use XFS and sometimes EXT3 on our RAID volumes. And that means all our volumes. You wouldn't not use RAID would you?

Ultimately the filesystem won't be your bottleneck, it will be the underlying disk subsystem. If you can't get the data sets into RAM fast enough, you won't be using your CPUs at maximum. The filesystem won't help too much. Most of the files are large and read sequentially.
          I do understand the bottleneck is most likely CPU and RAM for NGS. But since we are going to invest so much in the hardware, we might as well try to squeeze out every ounce of performance.

I am going to use RAID, most likely RAID10. I heard that the stripe size of a RAID interacts with the block size of a file system. How does this work? Anyone knows?

Comment

Stay away from Fat32! You won't be able to save any file over 4GB.

Comment

You can use NTFS with Ubuntu but not Red Hat.

Comment

Is ZFS optimized for big sequential read and write????

Comment

I do understand the bottleneck is most likely CPU and RAM for NGS. But since we are going to invest so much in the hardware, we might as well try to squeeze out every ounce of performance.
                  My opinion is that spending 90% of your time getting an extra 10% is not worth it. Spend that effort on working smart - choosing the best tools, best methods, best protocols, smart pipelines.

I am going to use RAID, most likely RAID10. I heard that the stripe size of a RAID interacts with the block size of a file system. How does this work? Anyone knows?
                  In theory it is simple - you want to align logical volume accesses with the underlying physical volume accesses. In practice it is difficult, especially with 3rd-party hardware raid solutions, as the block layout is often hidden.

If you use Linux software raid, you have more control, and mkfs even queries the underlying md device to optimize the settings (I think). Read here for more: http://feedblog.org/2008/06/18/howto...trides-in-xfs/

Comment

Is ZFS optimized for big sequential read and write????
                    The good thing is that you can configure it to have good performances for almost any kind of files :-)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses