Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcription Start Sites (TSS) analysis for 5' RNAseq data

I recently start working on a TSS analysis project (yeast). And want to get some suggestions.

The experiment had mRNA from two population of yeast sequenced on 5' only. The goal is to detect the TSS and compare the usage between them. From the alignment it is clear that reads are piling up upstream of genes, sometimes in more than one piles of the same gene.

I first went off to find existing software for analyzing this data. Homer has a nice page about how to use ChIPseq methods for TSS data. I used it to call 'peaks'. when overlapping with the alignment data, it is clear that Homer missed a lot of secondary TSS, which could be problematic.

While Homer treats the TSS 'peak' as IP peak, they are quite different. For one, TSS 'peak' are very narrow, if you only consider the beginning of the reads is the TSS. unlike ChIP peaks are composed of reads representing fragments that have binding site somewhere on the fragment, the 5' RNAseq reads have the TSS right at the begining of the reads.

I am wondering if there are TSS analysis tool for 5' RNAseq.

Also if I want to implement a method similar to ChIPseq, but instead of extending read to ~200bp fragment, but only use the 5' tip of the read, which method would be simple enough for quick proof-of-concept run?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

XyL

That sounds like CAGE. I suggest you take a look at the work from Piero Carninci's group (RIKEN), in one of their papers I think they identified several types of TSS "peaks". Look for Timo Lassman, for instance: MOIRAI: a compact workflow system for CAGE analysis

Also, it would help to give more information about the actual experiment because the relevance of the bioinfo analysis depends on the upstream protocol (ChIP-seq and RNA-seq are quite different experiments).

As for extracting the 5' position of mapped reads I'd use BEDtools.
    Last edited by syfo; 11-18-2014, 06:12 AM. Reason: fix name

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
      by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
      05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
    • seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
    0 responses