Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLASTX Issues

I am attempting to run blastx from the command line, and it seems to be very slow (~5-6 minutes for 10 100bp sequences). I compared this to blastx on the NCBI website, which took only 30 seconds. This indicates that there is an issue with the command line usage of blastx, but I don't know where to start examining this issue.

I made sure that the db used in the command line and on the ncbi website was the same (nr). I am using all default parameters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

That is an apples to oranges comparison.

Hardware NCBI uses for Blast searches is going to be tremendously more powerful than anything you are using locally.

What kind of hardware are you running your searches on? How much RAM are you allocating to your searches locally?

Comment

The machine I run the searches on is a 48 core 2.7ghz with 264 Gb RAM, but not sure how much of that is allocated for the search (nor do I know how to specify allocation). I run the search with default parameters so num_threads is set to 1 by default. Even though, I don't think it should be that slow. Or am I wrong?

Comment

If you have 48 cores then you would certainly want to up that num_threads option. You may need to experiment with that number to find the sweet spot for your hardware configuration. Start at the half-way point (and go up and down).

If you have admin access on the machine you may want to make a RAMDISK and copy the database files there (http://askubuntu.com/questions/15286...ake-a-ram-disk) If you are not using linux then look for an appropriate set of instructions for your OS.

Comment

Increasing the threads definitely helps. I guess I'll fiddle around with that. Thanks GenoMax!

Comment

Hi ..
            I am trying to get only the "no hits" result after perform the Blastx on the command line

I've tried:

<my Blastx command> | tee redirect.result33.txt | cut -d ' ' -f 1 | uniq | comm -31 - ids33_query.txt

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
            Last edited by debem; 12-09-2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Hi debem,

Input your results in to two files.csv and try:
              sdiff 1.csv 2.csv > difer.csv

Open the file difer.csv and select the lines with "<".
              This is your differents IDs.

Big hub,
              Rhewter.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses