Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the IMGT/GENE-DB service to find RSS

I'm trying to get the data for the Human and Mouse 12 and 23 Recomination Signal Sequences (RSS), to run a classification algorithm on it. I'm not a biologist, so I apologise in advance for my misunderstandings and confusion.

A version of the data is available here, but I thought I would try to get it from www.imgt.org, if possible. There is also another slightly different version available for the mouse here.

I'm trying to follow the instructions at IMGT-FAQ to obtain Recombination Signal Sequences for the mouse.

Here is what I have selected at the search page:
    Code:
    Identification:
    Species : Mus Musculus
    GeneType: any
    Functionality: functional
    MolecularComponent: any
    Clone name: <blank>

IMGT group: IGHV
    IMGT subgroup: any
    IMGT gene: <blank>
    I'm not clear what "Locus", "Main locus", and "IGMT group" mean here exactly. Specifically, what is the difference between "Locus" and "Main locus"?

I think, but am not sure, that IGHV corresponds to V genes in the Immunoglobulin heavy locus (IGH@) on chromosome 14, where locus here denotes collections of genes. Clarifications and corrections appreciated.

I would have expected that the IGH locus would correspond to "IMGT group" entries like "IGHJ, IGHV" etc, and the IGK locus would correspond to IMGT group entries like "IGK, IGKJ, IGKV", but no matter what I select for Locus, it does not change the possible entries for "IMGT group".

Running the search gives

Number of resulting genes : 218 Number of resulting alleles : 350

As instructed, I went to the bottom, selected "Select all genes", clicked on "Choose label(s) for extraction", and selected "V-RS".

I got

Number of results=98
    The first few results were
    Code:
    >X02459|IGHV1-4*02|Mus musculus_BALB/c|F|V-RS|395..432|38 nt|NR| | | | 
    |38+0=38| | |
    cacagtggtgcaaccacatcccgactgtgtcagaaacc

>X02064|IGHV1-54*02|Mus musculus|F|V-RS|295..332|38 nt|NR| | | | |38+0=38| 
    | |
    cacagtgttgcaaccacatcctgagtgtgtcagaaatc

>M34978|IGHV1-58*02|Mus musculus_A/J|P|V-RS|554..560|7 nt|NR| | | | 
    |7+0=7|partial in 3'| |
    cacagtg
    Ok, now I'm confused. The lengths of the RSS should be 28 or 39. but I counted lengths of 4,7, 31, 38, and 39. Are the results here not supposed to contain the 12 and 23 RSS?

So, I must be misunderstanding things here. Possibly many things. Any explanations and clarifications are appreciated.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses