No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimum MAPQ from bwa mem before peak calling

Hi,

I am working on genomics data (ChIP-Seq, SR100) and for this I used bwa mem (no "XT:A:U" tag) for aligning the fastq files.
    After, I am finding peaks with MACS.

It is necessary to use a filter on the minimum mapping quality (MAPQ)...

What is the best way to remove reads that map to multiple locations?
    What cutoff value do you use about MAPQ?

There are very different answers depending on the forums...

I think it is only necessary to remove zeros but I don't find a consensus or recommendations for good practice...

thank you !!

Emeric

If your reads are shorter than 70bp (which is often the case for chip-seq), bwa's documentation states that it's better to use bwa-aln than bwa-mem.

Ambiguously-mapped reads should have a mapq of 3 or less.

Comment

Thank you Brian !

How to justify a threshold of 3 for MAPQ?
      Is it an arbitrary threshold or can we find a study on this? I need references (publication, website or other...).

I found only this:
      "Non-unique read is placed randomly with a mapping quality 0"

thank you !!

Emeric

Comment

Originally posted by ickou View Post
        Thank you Brian !

How to justify a threshold of 3 for MAPQ?
        Is it an arbitrary threshold or can we find a study on this? I need references (publication, website or other...).
        That is implicit in the official SAM specification. The MAPQ is the phred-scaled probability that the mapping position is correct. 3 on the phred scale means ~50% chance of being correct. Therefore, a multi-mapping read must have a MAPQ of 3 or lower in a correct implementation.

The presentation you linked is from 2010, and I don't think it reflects bwa's current behavior.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
          by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
          05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
        • seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
        0 responses