No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de novo assemble of metagenomics sequences

Hi guys:
    We now doing assemble metagenomics sequences which are from 454 GS FLX platform using Titanium Kit. There are 3 softwares (Newbler, Celera assembler and MIRA3) designed for 454 sequences. Is anyone has the experience use this softs? And how to set the best parameter for metagenome? How to confirm the accuracy of result owing to lack the reference genomes?

Thanks.

i am also interested in getting information about mira3 assembly with rna-seq data... so can anyone pls give a hint...

thx a lot

sphil

Comment

You might be able to align against a reference genome / database with Blast etc, provided they exist.

Otherwise you can do
      chimera checks
      or genefinding

to check the accuracy of the contigs.

From what I have seen Newbler is the best assembler for 454, but I haven't compared the others.

Comment

And if you do use newbler (or others), perhaps increase alignment stringency to try to prevent getting similar parts of the different genome assembled together, check out the -mi and -ml parameters (see also this post).

I've always wanted to try newblers cdna assembly option for metagenomes (just never got to it) because I think it could do a good job of assembling together those reads that come from the same part of the 'same' gene/genome in the samples... You would need to run clustering of the isotigs of each isogroup (e.g. by using cd-hit) afterwards, though...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
        0 responses