Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to filter rRNA reads in SAM file.

a lot of reads in my data were mapped to rRNA region, how can I filter them in SAM format. is there any command in samtools or other package?
    Thanks.

To my knowlegde, unfortunately no. You could try mapping your reads to rRNA sequences and exclude those that align or, if you already know the genomic region (as it seems), just ignore reads at these coordinates, e.g. by writing a script to kick them out of your SAM file.

Comment

I am not a good script writer, so is there any tools available to deleted these reads?

Thank you

Comment

I would stick with all the reads mapped to the genome and just filter out the regions you dont want. You could accomplish this task without writing a single script using the BEDtools package.

BEDtools accepts BAM-formatted files. You would need to place all your rRNA regions in BED format e.g. a simple illustration of 2 regions in a file called regions.bed

chr1 1 10 rRNA1
        chr2 2 2333 rRNA2

So if your reads are in a file called alignments.bam Then do

intersectBed -abam alignments.bam -b regions.bed -v > filtered.bam
        Note I use the "-v" option to find regions in file a that DOES NOT intersect with b.

If you're not comfortable doing this on the command line I suppose you could upload your BAM file to Galaxy and do the same operation with intersectBed.
        Hope this helps.
        Last edited by zee; 07-15-2010, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
          by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
          08-27-2024, 04:44 AM
        • seqadmin
          Selecting and Optimizing mRNA Library Preparations
          by seqadmin

Sequencing mRNA provides a snapshot of cellular activity, allowing researchers to study the dynamics of cellular processes, compare gene expression across different tissue types, and gain insights into the mechanisms of complex diseases. “mRNA’s central role in the dogma of molecular biology makes it a logical and relevant focus for transcriptomic studies,” stated Sebastian Aguilar Pierlé, Ph.D., Application Development Lead at Inorevia. “One of the major hurdles for...
          08-07-2024, 12:11 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 08-27-2024, 04:40 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 08-22-2024, 05:00 AM
        0 responses