No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mate-pair alignment for structural variation analysis

Greetings everyone,

I am recently looking into some aligners for Illumina mate-pair data (insert size about 2000 bp). After the alignment, I want to detect structural variants with breakdancer or gasv. I experienced some behaviour I don't quite understand. I would appreciate very much any help and tips concerning good alignment tools.

That's what I've done and experienced so far:

(1) I really like bwa, but I now read mulitple times that bwa does not work with mate-pairs (RF orientation). What exactly does that mean? Should it give an error message, or does it give wrong results? I tried bwa (version 0.5.7) with a few Illumina mate-pair datasets and if I hadn't read here that it should not work, I would not have noticed anything. The results seemed pretty ok and comprehensible to me. It's kind of strange and contradictory. I'm a little confused.
    I read, that it should work, if one computes the reverse complement of both ends to "simulate" paired-end data in FR-orientation. Somehow, I don't really like to do that, if there are other ways. In case of mate-pair data, you have to expect that it is contamined with some paired-end reads (maybe 10% of all pairs). Hence, you might not get around having reads in RF-orientation. I still don't really understand, what can be problematic about the orientation, when mapping paired-end or mate-pair data.

(2) In my opinion, MAQ performs well but takes way too much time for this high amount of data (about 8 lanes with > 200.000.000 pairs). Even if I run MAQ for every lane seperately in parallel.

(3) I never worked with Mosaik yet, but I'd also fear, that MosaikSort will not work, because I read, that it fails when the mate-pair data is contamined with too many paired-end reads. Is it necessary to run MosaikSort, or can I just use MosaikAligner and then move on to other tools?

(4) I also have experience with Bowtie, but it seems to me, that it discards any reads beyond the given insert size ranges (-I and -X parameters). They appear as unmapped in the SAM-output-file. I want to run structural variation tools like breakdancer and gasv on the alignment, and the behaviour of bowtie to report only valid pairs is not very helpful. I could not find a way (or parameter) to get around that. Did I miss something in the manual?

Thanks in advance to everyone who likes to comment on that, to correct me or who can give some advice.
    Last edited by ForeignMan; 07-16-2010, 04:48 AM.

have you looked at this workflow?

I am trying it as well so can't really comment much
    http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
      by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
      05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
    • seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
    0 responses