Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory-efficient reference-based assembly / or any Velvet versions online?

I am trying to do something very simple here, but due to memory limitations I am stuck, and can no longer use Velvet's Columbus feature.

I had the reads from a shotgun sequencing of a bacteria.
    I performed genome assembly using velvet (kmer size 31) and received the contigs

Now I want to perform assembly once again on those reads, but this time, reference-based assembly, using those Velvet contigs as reference.

How can I do that in an easy way?

What I tried to do was this: using BWA to index the contigs, align the contigs with my reads and then using bwa sampe to get the aligned sam file. Sorted the sam file. used velveth with -reference option on the contigs file and -sam on the sorted sam file, and I received a Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error... Which as far as I have searched for, is related to memory.. Since this is an urgent task and I need to finish it soon. I wonder whether there are any other ways to do reference-based assembly or is there an online version of Velvet? I tried some on galaxy sites, but none offered the -reference option.

There are other ways to do reference-guided assembly, but it does not really make any sense to me why you would want to do it in this case. Mapping paired reads to an assembly and scaffolding with a standalone tool like SSPACE might be useful, though.

Comment

Bowtie2 would perform a similar task but I'm not sure if it's less computationally heavy. I usually find it is quicker too.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
        by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
        05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
      • seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:57 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 05-06-2024, 07:17 AM
      0 responses