Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Seqanswers!

Welcome to the new Seqanswers! We'd love your feedback, please post any you have to this topic: New Seqanswers Feedback.
See more
See less

Subread low percentage of assigned fragments in ENCODE data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subread low percentage of assigned fragments in ENCODE data

Hi there guys!

I am using Subread v1.5.0-p1 to get tables of counts for RNAseq data I got from ENCODE (https://www.encodeproject.org/experiments/ENCSR000BYX/).
    What I am trying to get are counts for genes (using reads assigned to exons) since I want to ultimately turn the numbers into FPKM or TPM.

However, I am getting around 13% of successfully assigned reads:

|| Total fragments : 72502756 ||
    || Successfully assigned fragments : 9324091 (12.9%) ||
    || Running time : 2.20 minutes ||

This doesn't sound right to me, I am used to getting 50-75% of reads assigned in RNAseq, using HTseq + DESeq2. I don't expect ENCODE data to be of poor quality so I think it's something on my side.

I tried all the combinations of fr-firststrand, fr-secondstrand, rf-firststrand, rf-secondstrand etc. Nothing gives me higher values than those 13%.
    Using GENCODE M3 annotation gtf since the data was originally aligned to mm9.
    This is a paired-end library from Illumina GAIIx sequencer.

Any tips ?

Could you show the content of the ".summary" file which was part of featureCounts output?

Comment

I found the problem, I was using wrong GTF annotation, should've used GENCODE mouse M1 since vM3 is built on mm10...

Comment

Working...
      X