No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly for both 454 and GAIIx

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a good assembly program that can combine both 454 and GAIIx reads? I'm hoping to build better scaffolds than individual assembly.

Thanks in advance!

There was a brief discussion about this on the ABySS mailing list recently. From memory the general advice was to try something like a de novo of the Illumina data and to then chop up the contigs and feed them into Newbler along with your 454 data.

The approach will also be dependent on your genome size. For example, if the genome is not big you could try MIRA.

I think clc (commericial so maybe not an option) can handle combined assemblies.

Finally velvet has the option to include long read alongside short reads datasets but your mileage with Velvet will be dependant on the amount of data you have and your computing resource.

Comment

I would recommend Mira. I wouldn't try a true denovo assembly though. There's a lot of good info on the Mira website.

Comment

Originally posted by natstreet View Post
        From memory the general advice was to try something like a de novo of the Illumina data and to then chop up the contigs and feed them into Newbler along with your 454 data.
        Newbler (gsAssembler) can only accept reads up to 1024bp. I have tried splitting it into fake PAIRED reads, but it didn't help much. I guess the 3kbp insert of the 454 reads trumped the 200bp insert of the Illumina PE reads.

The approach will also be dependent on your genome size. For example, if the genome is not big you could try MIRA.
        Worth a try, I haven't investigated this option enough yet.

I think clc (commericial so maybe not an option) can handle combined assemblies.
        Yes it can, but its results are variable in quality.

Finally velvet has the option to include long read alongside short reads datasets but your mileage with Velvet will be dependant on the amount of data you have and your computing resource.
        Adding 454 reads as as -long tends to make things worse in my experience. It is unclear why this is the case, it is possibly homopolymer errors in the reads. Even shredding 454 scaffolds into long read PAIRS didn't help much.

Ultimately we use the Illumina data to fix homopolymer errors in the 454 scaffolds (assuming it was mate pair 454) and found not much to gain from Illumina PE data. But that may change when Illumina MP data (3,5,10 kbp insert) is clean and reliable.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses