Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lollysticky
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4

    #1

    RNAseq transcriptome analysis: workflow problem

    Hi all,


    I will be performing RNAseq transcriptome analysis on a certain organism under a specified number of conditions (let's say 10). The goal is to construct a tab-delimited file which contains the expression values (the raw read counts, not RPKM/FPKM values) for each gene under all conditions.
    I am the first one in the lab to perform such an experiment and we don't have a standard workflow developed. Therefore I would ask you, the community, to review what I sketched so far and respond to my questions if possible!

    my design so far:
    1) generate RNAseq data
    2) preprocessing the data: FASTX-toolkit (quality check, trimming, clipping, filtering)
    3) aligning the reads -> TopHat (SAMformat output)
    4) Iterate 1-3 for each condition...
    5) construct file
    6) further analysis


    Questions:
    a) what to do with isoforms? Do I take them into consideration (using Cufflinks or so), or not? My organism has very few introns, and I expect to see little isoform transcripts. Nevertheless, any isoform information is valuable.
    b) how to tackle multireads? As far as I understand it, TopHat does not carry out some multi-read re-distribution like ERANGE does...
    c) how to proceed to raw read counts? TopHat reports RPKM values, but I need raw read counts -> I could use some sort of comparison script which uses my annotation files to construct a read count for each gene? (BEDtools can do this I think).

    If anybody has a better suggestion for a workflow and/or possible answers to my questions, please post them here


    thanks!
  • john_mu
    Member
    • May 2010
    • 88

    #2
    SpliceMap does separate multi-reads, you could check the paper to see if it suits your purpose. Although the paper does describe an older version, it gives the main idea.

    The link is in my signature.
    SpliceMap: De novo detection of splice junctions from RNA-seq
    Download SpliceMap Comment here

    Comment

    • lollysticky
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 4

      #3
      We have used TopHat in the lab before and would like to continue using it
      that's why I'm searching for a solution

      Comment

      • frozenlyse
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 135

        #4
        One thing to note - TopHat will only work with sequences of all the same length, so trimming adaptors is a bit of a *****

        Comment

        • jameslz
          Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 20

          #5
          Originally posted by frozenlyse View Post
          One thing to note - TopHat will only work with sequences of all the same length, so trimming adaptors is a bit of a *****

          I met the same situation, but it sees to be better if trimming the low quality base(such as 'B') from the 3' end.

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          14 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          37 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...