Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • m_elena_bioinfo
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 99

    #1

    Separate bam file

    Hi NGS users,
    anyone knows how I can separate a BAM file in different chromosome?

    Starting BAM file is too large (about 10GB for a whole exome) so I want to divide it in different smaller BAM file for chromosome. But using:

    > samtools view *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1"' > onlychr1.bam.sorted.bam

    returns me an incorrect file.
    Infact, when I run
    > samtools index onlychr1.bam.sorted.bam

    it returns me
    [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent.
    [bam_header_read] invalid BAM binary header (this is not a BAM file).
    Segmentation fault

    Thanx
    ME
  • quinlana
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 119

    #2
    You are trying to index a SAM file. You need to change your command to create BAM as follows. Note that you need headers as well.

    samtools view -h *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1" || /^@/' | samtools view -Sb -> onlychr1.bam.sorted.bam

    Aaron

    Comment

    • m_elena_bioinfo
      Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 99

      #3
      It's perfect!
      Thank you very much Aaron!!

      Comment

      • m_elena_bioinfo
        Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 99

        #4
        A problem!
        I aligned my reads vs hg19.fasta (including sequence like chr9_gl000201_random, chrUn_gl000235....).
        If I want to split bwa in smaller files (with alignment in two or more chromosome), using Aaron advise:

        > samtools view -h *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1" && $3=="chr3" || /^@/' | samtools view -Sb -> onlychr1_3.bam.sorted.bam

        the program returns me this error:
        [sam_read1] reference 'SN:chr18_gl000207_random LN:4262 ' is recognized as '*'. [main_samview] truncated file.


        If I split in single chromosome (only with $3=="chr1"), I have no problem.

        Someone can help me?

        Thanxxx!!!
        ME

        Comment

        • westerman
          Rick Westerman
          • Jun 2008
          • 1104

          #5
          I am not an 'awk' expert but I suspect that searching for both $3 being chr1 and $3 being chr3 will indeed give a truncated file -- perhaps not zero length but I suspect that it would not contain much useful information.

          E.g., the
          '$3=="chr1" && $3=="chr3"
          Looks bad to me. I would put parenthesis around the parts to group together.

          But caution is due to my non-awk experience.
          Last edited by westerman; 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM.

          Comment

          • m_elena_bioinfo
            Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 99

            #6
            You're right westerman, I'm a beginner with awk. But I can't find a system to define the search for both (or more) chromosomes in bam file...

            Comment

            • quinlana
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 119

              #7
              To find chr1 or chr3 do the following

              Code:
              samtools view -h *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1" || $3=="chr3" || /^@/' | samtools view -Sb -> onlychr1_3.bam.sorted.bam
              To find chr1 or chr3 or chr21 do the following

              Code:
              samtools view -h *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1" || $3=="chr3" || $3=="chr21" ||  /^@/' | samtools view -Sb -> onlychr1_3_21.bam.sorted.bam

              Comment

              • us13
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2012
                • 2

                #8
                Originally posted by quinlana View Post
                You are trying to index a SAM file. You need to change your command to create BAM as follows. Note that you need headers as well.

                samtools view -h *sorted.bam | awk '$3=="chr1" || /^@/' | samtools view -Sb -> onlychr1.bam.sorted.bam

                Aaron
                I am new to this field but the following worked for me (please let me know if I am wrong):
                samtools sort file.bam file.sorted.bam
                samtools index file.sorted.bam
                samtools view -bh file.sorted.bam chr1 > chr1.file.bam

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                0 responses
                11 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                34 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                28 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                48 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...