No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq

Hi everyone,

on the analysis of the small RNA-seq datasets: after I remove the adaptor/ linker sequences, what alignment programs do you suggest to use (BLAST, BLAT or short read aligners - apparently, I do get some errors with BOWTIE) ? Thanks a lot,

bogdan

What's your goal? To find differential expression? To find alternative splicing? To find novel exons? To find mutations?
    How small is "small RNA-seq datasets"?

Comment

Hi Richard,

thanks for your message : the small RNA seq dataset were genrerated following Illumina protocol after selecting RNAs of size 20-60 nt (including miRNAs and piRNAs). We do particularly look for small RNAs (20-40nt) that may derive from repeats, as piRNAs do. At this moment the issue is mappability to custom databases (miRNAs, piRNAs, ALUs, MIRs): namely after adaptor removal, I do align the reads to these custom databases with BOWTIE, but the results are awkward - more specifically, although I do set up a seed minimal length of 20 (-l 20 -n 3), I do notice in the results alignments that are shorter than 16 nt. Is there anything I do miss ? thanks,

bogdan

Comment

You have a data set that is "small rna" sequencing, not an "rna-seq" data set that is small. Gotcha. You're probably feeding it less than SEEDLEN length sequences which it obviously handles. You can filter the input to allow only bigger short read sequences. Some bowtie expert may have the magic command line params to do it without the extra up-front work.

Comment

Thanks; well, if someone knows the parameters that avoid the SEEDLEN errors, please let me know.

Comment

You should take a look at microRazerS

I can also recommend the UEA sRNA toolkit as an analysis pipeline (including mapping of reads).

Comment

That is great, thanks so much.

Comment

Take a look at Novoalign aligner, some special features are available for microRNA

1) 3' adaptor stripping
                2) 5' adaptor stripping
                3) Hairpin scoring
                4) Simple tab-delimited and SAM output
                5) Multithreaded for parallelization

We also have a dedicated documentation page for getting started with miRNA analysis.

Comment

A good suggestion, thank you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                  0 responses