X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silask
    replied
    Thank you GenoMax for the quick answer.

Ok, I see. In the Process guide they don't talk of clumpify. If use clumpify before the trimming I don't have the problem of single-end - paired-end duplicates. However, clumpify sill needs that the reads are exact the same length, this is even more strange then the nucleotide at the end of the reads are likely gone trimmed away in the subsequent trim step.

On a test set with two paired end raw reads which are normally detected as duplicates, I can prevent marking the reads as duplicates, by only removing one nt from the end.

Leave a comment:

• GenoMax
    replied
    Originally posted by silask View Post

Is this behaviour voluntarily or a bug? I think that if tow paired end reads start at the same position and are identical (except some missmatches allowed) they can be considered PCR duplicates, can't they. The paris of reads doesn't necessarily need to stop at the same position. Especially if you recommend in the
    Processing guide to use duplication after quality trimming. during the trimming PCR duplicated reads can be trimmed to different lengths.
    Here is my take (could be wrong). That processing guide may have been written before clumpify existed. You should use clumpify on raw data (before anything is done to it). That is the best way to identify duplicates. You can then follow that up with trimming.
    In the quality trimming one pair might also be removed, and I don't know how to find duplicates between one single end and one paired end library.

Could you help me?
    If you are removing one read during quality trimming then ideally you should get rid of its mate from the paired file to keep the paired-end sequences in order.

That said, if you wanted to find duplicates between one single end and one PE library, you could always reverse complement reads using reformat.sh and then run clumpify on two files at a time treating them as single end reads.

Leave a comment:

• silask
    replied
    deduplication with clumpify

Hello,

I probably have a problem with PCR duplicates and thought I want to use clumpy to remove duplicates. I did some tests and realised if the reads don't have the same length they are not marked as duplicates. E.g. I remove one nucleotide from the end of the read and they are no more marked as duplicates.

Is this behaviour voluntarily or a bug? I think that if tow paired end reads start at the same position and are identical (except some missmatches allowed) they can be considered PCR duplicates, can't they. The paris of reads doesn't necessarily need to stop at the same position. Especially if you recommend in the
    Processing guide to use duplication after quality trimming. during the trimming PCR duplicated reads can be trimmed to different lengths.

In the quality trimming one pair might also be removed, and I don't know how to find duplicates between one single end and one paired end library.

Could you help me?

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    I've now released 37.24 which has some nice optical deduplication improvements. It's now faster (Chiayi's dataset now takes 62 seconds), and there are improvements in precision for NextSeq tile-edge duplicates. Specifically, it is now recommended that they be removed like this:

clumpify.sh in=nextseq.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz dedupe optical spany adjacent

This will remove all normal optical duplicates, and all tile-edge duplicates, but it will only consider reads to be tile-edge duplicates if they are in adjacent tiles and share their Y-coordinate (within dupedist), rather than before, in which they could be in any tiles and could share their X-coordinate. This means that there are fewer false-positives (PCR or coincidental duplicates that were being classified as optical/tile-edge duplicates). This is possible because on NextSeq the tile-edge duplicates are only present on the tile X-edges and the duplicates are only between adjacent tiles.

Leave a comment:

• chiayi
    replied
    Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for all the troubleshooting and effort. I really appreciate it.

I also worked with our IT and found that the slow down when I set -Xmx to ~80% of physical memeory was core specific and may be caused by the performance of different CPUs. I thought this might be relavant to others who also experience similar situation.

Thanks again for the time and developing such a great suite of tools.

Best,
    Chia-Yi

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    Hi Chiayi,

I just released v37.23 which has this issue fixed. The time for optical deduplication of that file dropped from 59436 seconds to 146 seconds, which is a pretty nice increase

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    Hi Chiayi,

I can't replicate the slowdown from -Xmx settings - that seems to be a result of your filesystem and virtual memory, caching, and overcommit settings, which are causing disk-swapping. But I'm glad you got it working at a reasonable speed, and hopefully this will help others who have had extremely slow performance in some situations.

I've identified the problem causing the slowdown with optical deduplication. It's because in your dataset there is one huge clump of 293296 reads, with a huge number of duplicates that are not optical duplicates. In that situation the performance can become O(N^2) with the size of the clump, which is very slow (though it's still making progress), since it currently compares every duplicate to every other duplicate to find if they are within the distance limit of each other, and both headers are parsed every time. I've modified it to be 5x faster now, and I am continuing to modify it to be faster still by sorting based on lane and tile number; hopefully, in most cases, it can become >100x faster.

Leave a comment:

• chiayi
    replied
    I tried to tune several places and here's a summary of what I found:
    Code:
    Executing clump.Clumpify [-Xmx16g, in=in.fastq.gz, out=out.fq.gz, dedupe, reorder]
    [dedupe reorder][to reproduce Brian's results] In the runs for my previous post, -Xmx was ~80% of the physical memory. With that setting, Oracle JDK (88.88k reads/sec) is ~10 tims faster than Open JDK (9.80k reads/sec). However, when I adjusted -Xmx to 50% of physical memory, the speed increased ~10 times for Oracle JDK (1222.36k reads/sec) and ~120 times for Open JDK (1200.63k reads/sec). Adding reorder and/or addcount didn't make much difference; -Xmx to physical memory ratio is the key.
    [dedupe reorder optical dupedist=40][setting in my original post] Then I added back optical and dupedist tags (with -Xmx at 50% of the physical meory). The run was stuck at dedupting like before.
    Code:
       PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
     97955 cc5544    20   0 25.117g 9.998g  12388 S 100.0  4.0  36:38.45 java
     98052 cc5544    20   0 1924368  17736    700 S   0.0  0.0   1:30.90 pigz
    Brian, could you try adding these two tags and see if this is reproducible at your end? Thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    OK, I can't replicate the slowness. I get this:

Code:
    bushnell@gpint209:/global/projectb/scratch/bushnell/chiayi$ clumpify.sh in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g
    java version "1.8.0_31"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)
    java -ea -Xmx63g -Xms63g -cp /global/projectb/sandbox/gaag/bbtools/jgi-bbtools/current/ clump.Clumpify in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g
    Executing clump.Clumpify [in=chiayi.fq.gz, out=clumped.fq.gz, -Xmx63g]

Clumpify version 37.22
    Read Estimate:          30447286
    Memory Estimate:        13555 MB
    Memory Available:       50656 MB
    Set groups to 1
    Executing clump.KmerSort [in1=chiayi.fq.gz, in2=null, out1=clumped.fq.gz, out2=null, groups=1, ecco=false, rename=false, shortname=f, unpair=false, repair=false, namesort=false, ow=true, -Xmx63g]

Making comparator.
    Made a comparator with k=31, seed=1, border=1, hashes=4
    Starting cris 0.
    Fetching reads.
    Making fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Waiting for threads.
    Fetch time:     18.757 seconds.
    Closing input stream.
    Combining thread output.
    Combine time:   0.127 seconds.
    Sorting.
    Sort time:      3.903 seconds.
    Making clumps.
    Clump time:     1.112 seconds.
    Writing.
    Waiting for writing to complete.
    Write time:     15.535 seconds.
    Done!
    Time:                           39.821 seconds.
    Reads Processed:      27914k    701.00k reads/sec
    Bases Processed:       1423m    35.75m bases/sec

Reads In:           27914336
    Clumps Formed:       2997579
    Total time:     40.089 seconds.
    bushnell@gpint209:/global/projectb/scratch/bushnell/chiayi$ clumpify.sh in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g reorder
    java version "1.8.0_31"
    java -ea -Xmx63g -Xms63g -cp /global/projectb/sandbox/gaag/bbtools/jgi-bbtools/current/ clump.Clumpify in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g reorder
    Executing clump.Clumpify [in=chiayi.fq.gz, out=clumped.fq.gz, -Xmx63g, reorder]

Clumpify version 37.22
    Set groups to 1
    Executing clump.KmerSort [in1=chiayi.fq.gz, in2=null, out1=clumped.fq.gz, out2=null, groups=1, ecco=false, rename=false, shortname=f, unpair=false, repair=false, namesort=false, ow=true, -Xmx63g, reorder]

Making comparator.
    Starting cris 0.
    Fetching reads.
    Making fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Waiting for threads.
    Fetch time:     18.471 seconds.
    Closing input stream.
    Combining thread output.
    Combine time:   0.170 seconds.
    Sorting.
    Sort time:      4.112 seconds.
    Making clumps.
    Clump time:     19.301 seconds.
    Writing.
    Write time:     13.423 seconds.
    Done!
    Time:                           56.050 seconds.
    Reads Processed:      27914k    498.02k reads/sec
    Bases Processed:       1423m    25.40m bases/sec

Total time:     56.125 seconds.
    bushnell@gpint209:/global/projectb/scratch/bushnell/chiayi$ clumpify.sh in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g reorder dedupe
    java version "1.8.0_31"
    java -ea -Xmx63g -Xms63g -cp /global/projectb/sandbox/gaag/bbtools/jgi-bbtools/current/ clump.Clumpify in=chiayi.fq.gz out=clumped.fq.gz -Xmx63g reorder dedupe
    Executing clump.Clumpify [in=chiayi.fq.gz, out=clumped.fq.gz, -Xmx63g, reorder, dedupe]

Clumpify version 37.22
    Set groups to 1
    Executing clump.KmerSort [in1=chiayi.fq.gz, in2=null, out1=clumped.fq.gz, out2=null, groups=1, ecco=false, rename=false, shortname=f, unpair=false, repair=false, namesort=false, ow=true, -Xmx63g, reorder, dedupe]

Making comparator.
    Starting cris 0.
    Fetching reads.
    Making fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Waiting for threads.
    Fetch time:     18.377 seconds.
    Closing input stream.
    Combining thread output.
    Combine time:   0.174 seconds.
    Sorting.
    Sort time:      4.421 seconds.
    Making clumps.
    Clump time:     19.694 seconds.
    Deduping.
    Dedupe time:    0.767 seconds.
    Writing.
    Write time:     5.675 seconds.
    Done!
    Time:                           49.223 seconds.
    Reads Processed:      27914k    567.09k reads/sec
    Bases Processed:       1423m    28.92m bases/sec

Duplicates Found:   20066115
    Total time:     49.299 seconds.
    So, it takes under a minute regardless of whether I add "dedupe" or "reorder". The primary difference I see so far is that you are using OpenJDK while I'm using the Oracle JDK. Well, you're also using pbzip2 instead of gzip. But even when I converted to bz2 it was still fast; the output of top looked like this:

Code:
    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
     9032 bushnell  20   0 66.1g  16g  11m S 1474 13.5   1:16.19 java
     9177 bushnell  20   0  666m 229m 1028 S  600  0.2   1:45.25 pbzip2
    Here, java is using ~14 cores and pbzip2 about 6 cores while reading the file. The time was still under a minute:

Code:
    bushnell@gpint209:/global/projectb/scratch/bushnell/chiayi$ clumpify.sh in=chiayi.fq.bz2 out=clumped.fq.bz2 -Xmx63g reorder dedupe
    java version "1.8.0_31"
    java -ea -Xmx63g -Xms63g -cp /global/projectb/sandbox/gaag/bbtools/jgi-bbtools/current/ clump.Clumpify in=chiayi.fq.bz2 out=clumped.fq.bz2 -Xmx63g reorder dedupe
    Executing clump.Clumpify [in=chiayi.fq.bz2, out=clumped.fq.bz2, -Xmx63g, reorder, dedupe]

Clumpify version 37.22
    Read Estimate:          36800962
    Memory Estimate:        28076 MB
    Set groups to 1
    Executing clump.KmerSort [in1=chiayi.fq.bz2, in2=null, out1=clumped.fq.bz2, out2=null, groups=1, ecco=false, rename=false, shortname=f, unpair=false, repair=false, namesort=false, ow=true, -Xmx63g, reorder, dedupe]

Making comparator.
    Starting cris 0.
    Fetching reads.
    Making fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Waiting for threads.
    Fetch time:     18.779 seconds.
    Closing input stream.
    Combining thread output.
    Combine time:   0.153 seconds.
    Sorting.
    Sort time:      4.351 seconds.
    Making clumps.
    Clump time:     21.613 seconds.
    Deduping.
    Dedupe time:    0.795 seconds.
    Writing.
    Write time:     6.608 seconds.
    Done!
    Time:                           52.520 seconds.
    Reads Processed:      27914k    531.50k reads/sec
    Bases Processed:       1423m    27.11m bases/sec

Duplicates Found:   20066115
    Total time:     52.575 seconds.
    ...and there was no crash. However, I was able to replicate the crash when I set it to use -Xmx16g. I'll have to fix that... it appears to only manifest when using Clumpify with bz2 output and multiple groups (due to low memory). So you can avoid the crash by changing to gzipped instead of bzipped output for Clumpify (input can still be bz2).

Is it possible for you to try running this with the Oracle JDK and see if that resolves the slowdown?
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    Got it; I'm working on it. It will take several days. But thanks!

Leave a comment:

• chiayi
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
    1) What version of BBMap are you using?
    2) "unpair=f" is the default and that flag should always be ignored except when you are doing error-correction; it is exclusively for error-correcting paired reads. I don't see why that would have anything to do with this problem, but I'm not really sure.
    3) This dataset is pretty small. Would it be possible for you to send it to me so I can try to replicate the issue?
    4) I will note that your second version was run differently than the first one - it was using only 16GB RAM. The behavior of Clumpify is different when running with enough memory to hold all reads, and with not enough memory to hold all reads (in which case it needs to write temp files). It works in both cases, but when diagnosing errors, it's easiest to run with the same -Xmx parameter in all cases.
    1) 37.17
    2) 4) I changed the RAM to get the job start sooner. You are certainly right, the setting should be identical. I started another run using the same mem and this time it still stuck at the dedupting step. Summary: With -Xmx48g, the run stuck at dedupting, regardless the settings of reorder and unpair.
    3) I shared the file with your email. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Leave a comment:

• chiayi
    replied
    2) "unpair=f" is the default and that flag should always be ignored except when you are doing error-correction; it is exclusively for error-correcting paired reads. I don't see why that would have anything to do with this problem, but I'm not really sure.
    3) This dataset is pretty small. Would it be possible for you to send it to me so I can try to replicate the issue?
    4) I will note that your second version was run differently than the first one - it was using only 16GB RAM. The behavior of Clumpify is different when running with enough memory to hold all reads, and with not enough memory to hold all reads (in which case it needs to write temp files). It works in both cases, but when diagnosing errors, it's easiest to run with the same -Xmx parameter in all cases.
    1) 37.17
    2) 4) I changed the RAM to get the job start sooner. You are certainly right, the setting should be identical. I started another run using the same mem and this time it still stuck at the dedupting step. Summary: With -Xmx48g, the run stuck at dedupting, regardless the settings of reorder and unpair.
    3) I shared the file with your lbl.gov email. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    @santiagorevale

Sorry for not clearly stating this before, but the latest versions of Clumpify support in1, in2, out1, and out2 flags for paired reads in twin files.
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 05-04-2017, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Bushnell
    replied
    OK, you can kill it - it won't finish. This is great feedback, by the way - I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• chiayi
    replied
    Oh... in rare cases, "reorder" can cause it to run very slowly, stuck at 100% CPU utilization. That might be the issue here... try removing that flag. During normal execution, pigz is also using CPU-time and java is usually substantially higher than 100%. What did the screen output look like when top was showing this?
    It was at the 'Deduping' step. I removed reorder tag and it still stuck at the same step:

Code:
    openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)
    java -ea -Xmx48g -Xms48g -cp ~/package/bbmap/current/ clump.Clumpify 
    -Xmx48g in=in.fastq.gz out=out.fq.bz2 dedupe=t addcount=t dupedist=40 
    optical=t
    Executing clump.Clumpify [-Xmx48g, in=in.fastq.gz,
    out=out.clumped.fq.bz2, dedupe=t, addcount=t, dupedist=40, optical=t]

Clumpify version 37.17
    Memory Available:       38586 MB
    Set groups to 1
    Executing clump.KmerSort [in1=in.fas in2=null, out1=out.clumped.fq.bz2, 
    out2=null, groups=1, ecco=false, rename=false, shortname=f, 
    [COLOR="Red"]unpair=false[/COLOR], repair=false, namesort=false, 
    ow=true, -Xmx48g, dedupe=t, addcount=t, dupedist=40, optical=t]

Making comparator.
    Starting cris 0.
    Fetching reads.
    Making fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Waiting for threads.
    Fetch time:     95.473 seconds.
    Closing input stream.
    Combining thread output.
    Combine time:   0.133 seconds.
    Sorting.
    Sort time:      36.426 seconds.
    Making clumps.
    Clump time:     6.788 seconds.
    Deduping.
    At the time the top looked like this:

Code:
    PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
    20   0 56.205g 0.023t  13008 S  99.7 18.7  10:00.83 java
    20   0  188364   3932   2448 R   0.3  0.0   0:00.75 top
    20   0   81452   1256   1012 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 pbzip2
    I noticed the unpair=f and wasn't sure it was appropriate with my SE reads so I added unpair=t. Then the speed looked better yet it stuck at a different place:

Code:
    Executing clump.KmerSplit [in1=in.fastq.gz, in2=null, 
    out=out.fq.bz2, out2=null, groups=11, ecco=false, addname=f, 
    shortname=f, [COLOR="Blue"]unpair=true[/COLOR], repair=f, namesort=f, ow=true, 
    -Xmx16g, dedupe=t, addcount=t, dupedist=40, optical=t]

Input is being processed as unpaired
    Time:                           54.743 seconds.
    Reads Processed:      27914k    509.91k reads/sec
    Bases Processed:       1423m    26.01m bases/sec
    Executing clump.KmerSort3 [in1=in.clumped_clumpify_p1_temp%_2e77f340ad809301.fq.bz2, in2=null,
     out=out.clumped.fq.bz2, out2=null, groups=11, ecco=f, addname=false,
     shortname=f, [COLOR="red"]unpair=f[/COLOR], repair=false,
     namesort=false, ow=true, -Xmx16g, dedupe=t, addcount=t, dupedist=40, optical=t]

Making comparator.
    Making 2 fetch threads.
    Starting threads.
    Fetching reads.
    Exception in thread "Thread-57"
     *Control-C or similar caught [sig=15], quitting...
    Exception in thread "Thread-58" Terminator thread: premature exit requested - quitting...
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Duplicate process for file nutrinetat_vegb11_edi-0_r2y.clumped_clumpify_p1_temp0_2e77f340ad809301.fq.bz2
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.addProcess(ReadWrite.java:1599)
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.getInputStreamFromProcess(ReadWrite.java:1050)
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.getUnpbzip2Stream(ReadWrite.java:986)
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.getBZipInputStream2(ReadWrite.java:1086)
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.getBZipInputStream(ReadWrite.java:1066)
            at fileIO.ReadWrite.getInputStream(ReadWrite.java:802)
            at fileIO.ByteFile1.open(ByteFile1.java:261)
            at fileIO.ByteFile1.<init>(ByteFile1.java:96)
            at fileIO.ByteFile.makeByteFile(ByteFile.java:26)
            at stream.FastqReadInputStream.<init>(FastqReadInputStream.java:61)
            at stream.ConcurrentReadInputStream.getReadInputStream(ConcurrentReadInputStream.java:119)
            at stream.ConcurrentReadInputStream.getReadInputStream(ConcurrentReadInputStream.java:55)
            at clump.KmerSort3$FetchThread.fetchNext(KmerSort3.java:853)
            at clump.KmerSort3$FetchThread.run(KmerSort3.java:825)
    When this happened, top looked like this,

Code:
    PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
    20   0  188332   3956   2452 R   0.3  0.0   0:04.02 top
    20   0 23.961g 4.125g  12916 S   0.0  1.6   0:42.05 java
    20   0   81452   1256   1012 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.01 pbzip2
    20   0 1950332 173572   1056 S   0.0  0.1   0:03.36 pbzip2
    20   0 1941568 173768   1052 S   0.0  0.1   0:03.49 pbzip2
    Not sure if it's related but is the "unpair=f" expected during the clump, even though I added unpair=t in the command?

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
    by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
    05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
  • seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
0 responses