Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • favwiz
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 3

    #1

    Missing genotype data in .vcf file

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to gather genotype data from .vcf files generated using GATK (as part of Illumina's MiSeq Reporter software), but I'm getting odd results.
    I'm looking at one variant site, and for individual sample vcf files, I get data when there is a variant (i.e. not homozygous reference) so that's fine.
    I'd like to be able to output the data for the hom ref samples - i.e. depth at the site so I can quickly confirm whether the genotype is real (is it really homozygous reference, or a no call?).
    I'm looking at the genome vcf files to get this data and for some sites I get a 0/0 call, but for others there is just a "." and when I look at the samples in IGV, the coverage is almost the same at both sites. So, I'm wondering how I can get the info that I want, and also why I would get a 0/0 genotype with all the associated info (GQ, MQ, DP, DPF etc) for some positions and not for others?
    I've had a look through previous threads, but can't find any info on this.
    Apologies also for my ignorance, I am a complete bioinformatics novice.
  • finswimmer
    Member
    • Oct 2016
    • 60

    #2
    Hello favwiz,
    can you please post an example where the genotype is "0/0" or "."

    fin swimmer

    Comment

    • favwiz
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2011
      • 3

      #3
      Hi fin swimmer,
      Thanks for taking a look at this. I've uploaded the combined gvcf that I'm looking at but have had to remove a few lines to reduce the file size. Let me know if you need more info.
      Thanks.
      Attached Files

      Comment

      • finswimmer
        Member
        • Oct 2016
        • 60

        #4
        Hi,
        i didn't work with gVCF until now. If I see it correct you're trying to merge the gvcf files of your samples with vcf-merge. In my understanding vcf-merge cannot handle gvcf files as it doesn't take care of the blocksize.

        So as your gvcf files were produced by gatk, CombineGVCFs should be the right tool for merging.

        fin swimmer

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...