Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cliff
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 41

    #1

    Error "RG ID on SAMRecord not found in header" from Picard's MarkDuplicates.jar‏

    I am trying the following command:

    java -Xmx4g -jar /home/picard-tools-1.35/MarkDuplicates.jar INPUT=$dir/input.bam OUTPUT=$dir/output.bam TMP_DIR=/home/temp METRICS_FILE=PCR_duplicates REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true ASSUME_SORTED=true VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT

    And getting lots of errors like "RG ID on SAMRecord not found in header".

    The command is still running and I haven't seen output.bam coming out... From what I saw previously, it is most likely that I will end up getting no output when the command stops.

    I used BWA for reads mapping, then SAMtools for sorting reads and merge reads from different lanes or different Illumina flowcells. For each bam file, I used the corresponding flowcell name as the prefix, e.g., FC124_1_sorted.bam.

    Since I merged different flowcells from the same Illumina machine, I used "samtools merge -r". Based on SAMtools manual, "merge -r" can attach an RG tag to each alignment. The tag value is inferred from file names.

    I am running commands in a cluster node which has 4GB RAM and 10Tb space and I assume the memory and space should be enough for picard.

    Anyone knows how to fix the error "RG ID on SAMRecord not found in header"?


    Thanks

    -C
  • gaffa
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 82

    #2
    Is there a line describing the read groups in your SAM header? (you can view the header on a bam file using e.g. samtools view -H)

    Comment

    • alexbmp
      Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 30

      #3
      I used picard AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar on this problem.

      I think samtools also can add (actually, replace: by samtools reheader) read groups to your bam file.

      For example:
      java -Xmx4g -jar /home/lab/bin/picard/AddOrReplaceReadGroups.jar VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT VERBOSITY=ERROR SO=unsorted INPUT=sample.cat.pic OUTPUT=sample.rga.bam RGPL=illumina RGLB=sm_1110 RGPU=barcode_1110 RGSM=sample_1110
      Any other ideas?
      Last edited by alexbmp; 11-10-2011, 02:20 AM.

      Comment

      • Chipper
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 323

        #4
        Use picard's MergeSam rather than samtools merge if the files have different headers.

        Comment

        • alexbmp
          Member
          • Oct 2011
          • 30

          #5
          @ Chipper

          Yes, I also agree using picard MergeSam instead of samtools merge.

          However I found a case that picard MergeSam doesn't take many inputs (500 inputs) when options are default.

          So in that case I used samtools merge (the files were split; they ought to have the same header).

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          7 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...