No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM flags for bowtie-Tophat

Hi,

given that TopHat and Bowtie align across splice junctions, are there any flags in the SAM-formatted output different to, say, BWA alignment flags? what would be the flag for unaligned paired-end reads?

Cheers,

D.

Sam flags have the same meaning whatever software produced it.
    But I can be wrong :s

If I'm right, you're looking something like http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html

On another hand, use samtools view -X for more (human-) readability than the hex flag.

Comment

Thanks nicolallias, that is an interesting webpage.
      So if I am not wrong, a Flag of 137 would mean that the read is part of a pair, that this read is aligned to the reference but its pair is unmapped, and this read is generated in the second round so comes from the s_N_2.sequence.txt file (in the case of illumina paired-end).

Is my interpretation correct?

Comment

I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by dnusol View Post
          Hi, given that TopHat and Bowtie align across splice junctions
          Tophat does align across splice junctions, bowtie doesnt

Tophat does add some custom flags to reads eg the XS flag which describes which strand the RNA transcript likely originated from (deduced from splicing signals I believe)

Comment

Thanks frozenlyse and nicolallias for your help.
            Tophat seems to set some of the Bowtie arguments directly. I have not found in the manual what happens if one of the reads from a pair is not mapped to the reference. Is the mapped read used for transcript identification and the unmapped discarded or does Tophat discard both reads from the analysis?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
              by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
              05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
            • seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
            0 responses