No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manipulating .sam files

Hi Guys,

I want to do something very simple, but I'm finding it very difficult to make any headway.

I have .sam files from a sequencing experiment, and I want to visualise a few small regions by uploading them to UCSC. The problem is, I can't even open a .sam file let alone select specific information.

I can't seem to open the .sam file in MySQL Workbench - is this even the right program to use?

I suppose the question I'm asking is, what is the *simplest* way of taking a 4GB .sam file, and extracting the reads that align to say, Chr1, and saving them as a new .sam file?

Many thanks!

Adam

Try Tablet, it's very good. You'll need the reference sequence, and the chromosome of the reference sequence you use should exactly match that in the SAM file.

To look at your SAM file try the Large Text File Viewer if you're using windows. If in Linux use the commands head or more.

I would stay well clear of Mysql workbench here.

And to answer your concrete question : I would use the "grep" command to filter chr1 sequences on a Linux (or, I think, Mac) system. On Windows I don't know!

You can also try SAM-> BAM conversion using Picard.

Comment

Also try SeqMonk http://www.bioinformatics.bbsrc.ac.uk/projects/seqmonk/
      This java-based tool is OS independent.

Comment

SAM files are not MySQL files.

samtools are a good basic tool for this. Not only can you pull out a chromosome, but also specify a specific region

Your new SAM file may not be usable by anything downstream if you aren't careful with grep (you need to make sure the header comes along), but that doesn't mean I don't trod that thin ice routinely!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses