Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie - What am I missing here?

Ok so I am a newbie here, so please bear with me. I am trying out Bowtie. And following the manual and I issue the command as it is in the manual (I just removed the --suppress 1,5,6,7 to make all the columns visible.

./bowtie -a -v 2 e_coli -c ATGCATCATGCGCCAT

The first two lines of the output are as follows...

0 - gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 148810 ATGGCGCATGATGCAT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0 10:A>G,13:C>G
    0 - gi|110640213|ref|NC_008253.1| 2852852 ATGGCGCATGATGCAT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 0 8:T>A

If I am reading this right, it found matches on the negative reference strand, with TWO mismatches on the first result (10:A>G,13:C>G). But when I look at the alignments closely,

Test - ATGCATCATGCGCCAT
    Result 1 - ATGGCGCATGATGCAT

I see mismatches at position 4,5,6,11,12,13.

Same thing with result TWO

Test - ATGCATCATGCGCCAT
    Result 1 - ATGGCGCATGATGCAT

Bowtie says ONE mismatch in position 8, while I see mismatches in positions 4,5,6,11,12,13

What AM I missing here? Please apologize for relative ignorance of the question.
    Thanks
    Quantrix

If the match is to the negative strand, you probably need to take the reverse complement of one of your sequences. With that being said, it looks to me like your "Test" and "Result 1" are in fact identical taking the reverse complement, so there would be no mismatches rather than two.

Comment

Dear Kopi,
      You are right, in fact, I did the reverse complement for BOTH the sequences and they are exactly the same. So does this mean when Bowtie outputs the results, it DOES NOT output the actual result sequences? (And merely outputs the TEST sequence?)

I do not know. I am more confused than ever. Can someone clarify this for me please?
      Thank you
      Q

Comment

OK, I should have thought of that. What you are seeing is default Bowtie output, which according to the manual (http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/ma...-bowtie-output) does not show the reference sequence, but the read sequence.

Comment

Damnit!
          RTFM...R-T-F-M! Now I feel like an idiot.
          Thank you Kopi. But it is still weird though. Why even bother outputting the READ sequence when there is a match? I am sure there is an answer to it. But never mind.
          Q

Comment

All of the aligners I know output the read sequence (or reverse-complemented if it is mapped to reverse strand). This is helpful for the post-processes, e.g. you can convert the output back to fastq or you can calculate the GC content of the mapped reads.

Comment

Hi Nguyen,
              Thanks for the reply. It DOES make sense now. I think I got thrown off by the fact there was only ONE read in the test sequence. If there are millions of reads, it makes sense to output the reads and for other purposes such as GC content etc
              Q

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses