No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• galaxy tools and samtools error

Hi,

on a local installation of the latest "galaxy-tools" I mapped with "Bowtie for Illumina" and also performed "Filter SAM". It both worked well for the 22GB big fow and rev pe reads. When running "SAM-to-BAM" on the resulting 54GB file, I get the following error message:

An error occurred running this job: Samtools Version: 0.1.12a (r862)
    python(4996,0x7fff70df9ca0) malloc: *** mmap(size=140735421464576) failed (error code=12)
    *** error: can't allocate region
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    Error extracting alignments from

I assume it has something to do with the memory. Although I can't believe that this is a size problem, as I'm doing this on the latest 12core macpro with 16GB-RAM.

Another issue that I have in galaxy-tools is that I'm not able to save the filtered file (app. 50GB).

Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by doc.ramses View Post
    When running "SAM-to-BAM" on the resulting 54GB file, I get the following error message:

An error occurred running this job: Samtools Version: 0.1.12a (r862)
    python(4996,0x7fff70df9ca0) malloc: *** mmap(size=140735421464576) failed (error code=12)
    *** error: can't allocate region
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
    Error extracting alignments from

I assume it has something to do with the memory. Although I can't believe that this is a size problem, as I'm doing this on the latest 12core macpro with 16GB-RAM.
    I'm fairly sure that size in in bytes... and 140735421464576 bytes = 137436935024 KB = 134215756 MB = 131070 GB = 127 PB
    (using 1024 rather than 1000 for pedants)

Which is lot more than 16GB which explains why malloc fails to allocate enough memory, but on the other hand 127 PB is so big that perhaps something had gone wrong before that?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
      by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
      Yesterday, 07:15 AM
    • seqadmin
      Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
      by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
      “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
      05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:58 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:18 AM
    0 responses