Header Leaderboard Ad

Collapse

de novo assembly on 3.5Gbp data -- computational speed!!??

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de novo assembly on 3.5Gbp data -- computational speed!!??

i have used Velvet & SSAKE to build some contigs before and found that they can't take more than 10 million reads (75bp each) (it just gets really really slow beyond that)

but now i need to do a de novo assembly using much more than 10 mill reads (45mill reads/ 3.5Gbp). HOW am i going to do it? or should i just expect the program to finish in months instead in hours?

thx
    jason

Are you working with paired-end reads or any usable mate-pair information?

Comment

Just illumina data
      1 set of 75bp paired end reads
      1 set of 35bp paired end reads
      and 1 set of single end 75bp reads

Comment

Originally posted by jtjli View Post
        i have used Velvet & SSAKE to build some contigs before and found that they can't take more than 10 million reads (75bp each) (it just gets really really slow beyond that)

but now i need to do a de novo assembly using much more than 10 mill reads (45mill reads/ 3.5Gbp). HOW am i going to do it? or should i just expect the program to finish in months instead in hours?

thx
        jason
        Wow, I did not know of such a limit to number of reads for velvet!
        Did you check with velvet's author?
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

yes i did.
          i think that is more a problem of my 16GB ram limitation.
          Nothing wrong with velvet (ssake is similar)

i'm just hoping someone can shed me some light on this

Comment

maybe you can try Edena

De novo bacterial genome sequencing: millions of very short reads assembled on a desktop computer.
            D. Hernandez, P. François, L. Farinelli, M. Osteras, and J. Schrenzel.
            Genome Research. 18:802-809, 2008.

http://www.genomic.ch/edena.php

Comment

just read the quickTutorial of Edena, it doesn't seem to work with paired end reads??

Comment

Hello Jason,

Have you tried Abyss?

http://www.bcgsc.ca/platform/bioinfo/software/abyss

Comment

I just posted a new version of euler-sr. It should run with less memory, so it will be less likely to start paging. The webpage is euler-assembler.ucsd.edu/portal

-mark

Comment

Originally posted by mchaisso View Post
                    I just posted a new version of euler-sr. It should run with less memory, so it will be less likely to start paging. The webpage is euler-assembler.ucsd.edu/portal

-mark
                    Are there some numbers on 'less' memory?

Thoughts on assembling human scale genomes? any appropriate tools?
                    --
                    bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      A Brief Overview and Common Challenges in Single-cell Sequencing Analysis
                      by seqadmin

​​​​​​The introduction of single-cell sequencing has advanced the ability to study cell-to-cell heterogeneity. Its use has improved our understanding of somatic mutations1, cell lineages2, cellular diversity and regulation3, and development in multicellular organisms4. Single-cell sequencing encompasses hundreds of techniques with different approaches to studying the genomes, transcriptomes, epigenomes, and other omics of individual cells. The analysis of single-cell sequencing data i...

01-24-2023, 01:19 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Introduction to Single-Cell Sequencing
                      by seqadmin
                      Single-cell sequencing is a technique used to investigate the genome, transcriptome, epigenome, and other omics of individual cells using high-throughput sequencing. This technology has provided many scientific breakthroughs and continues to be applied across many fields, including microbiology, oncology, immunology, neurobiology, precision medicine, and stem cell research.

The advancement of single-cell sequencing began in 2009 when Tang et al. investigated the single-cell transcriptomes
                      01-09-2023, 03:10 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X