Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mgbfx9
    replied
    Thank you westerman and GenoMax for your response.

    I found out that I downloaded not the Trimmomatic binary file. So, I downloaded now the binary file, and found that it contains trimmomatic-0.33.jar file. So when I ran Trimmomatic from its directory,

    [myhomedir Trimmomatic-0.33]$ java -jar trimmomatic-0.33.jar
    Usage:
    PE [-threads <threads>] [-phred33|-phred64] [-trimlog <trimLogFile>] [-basein <inputBase> | <inputFile1> <inputFile2>] [-baseout <outputBase> | <outputFile1P> <outputFile1U> <outputFile2P> <outputFile2U>] <trimmer1>...
    or:
    SE [-threads <threads>] [-phred33|-phred64] [-trimlog <trimLogFile>] <inputFile> <outputFile> <trimmer1>...

    So, I think it is alright, let’s see, how this run with my PE samples, hopefully it would be okay. Thanks,

    Leave a comment:


  • GenoMax
    replied
    Originally posted by mgbfx9 View Post
    Thank you, mastal for the suggestion.

    I ran from Trimmomatic directory, the code you gave, but still gave me the Error message.

    [mydirectory@cluster trimmomatic-0.33]$ java -jar ./trimmomatic-0.33.jar

    Error: Unable to access jarfile ./trimmomatic-0.33.jar
    Can you post a listing of the directory you issued the above command from?

    Code:
    $ ls -l

    Leave a comment:


  • westerman
    replied
    When a relative path does not work (e.g., the './') then trying the full path is recommended.

    I run as follows:

    Code:
    java -Xms512m -Xmx4000m -classpath [full_path_to_jar] org.usadellab.trimmomatic.Trimmomatic[either PE or SE]

    Leave a comment:


  • mgbfx9
    replied
    Thank you, mastal for the suggestion.

    I ran from Trimmomatic directory, the code you gave, but still gave me the Error message.

    [mydirectory@cluster trimmomatic-0.33]$ java -jar ./trimmomatic-0.33.jar

    Error: Unable to access jarfile ./trimmomatic-0.33.jar

    Leave a comment:


  • mastal
    replied
    If the location of the trimmomatic jar file isn't in your PATH, the computer won't know where to look for it.

    If you specify the full path, starting from the root directory, then the computer will know where to look.

    If you are trying to run trimmomatic from the directory where your trimmomatic.jar file is, you can also try

    java -jar ./trimmomatic-0.33.jar
    Last edited by mastal; 10-25-2015, 01:07 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mgbfx9
    replied
    Thank you, Mastal for your response to my post.

    I have few questions:
    1. I have downloaded Trimmomatic from

    when I saw the file Trimmomatic-Src-0.33.zip and the index.php?page=trimmomatic in my directory

    2. I unzipped the file, Trimmomatic-Src-0.33.zip when I got Trimmomatic 0.33,
    3. I wanted to see first whether I can execute Trimmomatic, So, from my directory where I have my Trimmomatic downloaded, I ran the following code:
    java -jar trimmomatic-0.33.jar
    Error: Unable to access jarfile trimmomatic-0.33.jar
    Which I feel normal as my file doesn’t have extension .jar

    4. So, I changed, and ran:
    /home/mydirectory/java –jar trimmomatic-0.33

    Error: Unable to access jarfile trimmomatic-0.33.jar

    I think probably my download is not complete. Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance,

    Leave a comment:


  • mastal
    replied
    If your librairies were prepared using the Nextera XT kit, then you need a file with the adapter sequences for Nextera XT, not TruSeq.

    try specifying the full path to your trimmomatic.jar file.

    Leave a comment:


  • mgbfx9
    replied
    kmcarr,

    Thank you for the response of my post. I am newbie, so I appreciate your explanation.

    The DNA libraries of my samples were made by Nextera XT system. The DNA libraries were run paired end in Illumina MiSeq instrument.

    The doubt I had, TruSeq libraries are made for RNA seq, so I was wondering whether this program could be run for DNA dataset? However, I didn't see that the program is only for the RNA dataset in the Manual or in the reference paper. So, my question was what should I write in place of

    ILLUMINACLIP:TruSeq3-PE.fa

    Although I was trying to run and execute the program from the directory where I have Trimmomatic jar according to the Manual for the paired end, but I got following response:

    Error: Unable to access jarfile trimmomatic-0.33.jar

    I appreciate any help. Thanks,

    Leave a comment:


  • kmcarr
    replied
    Originally posted by mgbfx9 View Post
    Hi Dr. Bolger,

    Thanks for the Trimmomatic tool. I want to use the tool and just downloaded Trimmomatic Version 0.33 on my computer. But reading through its content and the manual, I was wondering whether I can use the tool for preprocessing of my Illumina PE MiSeq data? Because in its adapters directory, I see all TruSeq files, but not MiSeq. Could it be inside NexteraPE-PE.fa? However my DNA library was made by Nextera XT system.
    If your answer is 'yes', then do I have to change the name in my code from TruSeq3-PE.fa to NexteraPE-PE.fa ?

    Thank you in advance for your response!
    mgb,

    You are confusing library preparation method with instrument used to actually sequence the library.

    Libraries may be prepared using TruSeq or Nextera (or any number of other vendor's compatible kits) and those libraries may then be sequenced on any Illumina instrument (HiSeq, MiSeq, NextSeq). Which instrument was used to generate the data has no bearing at all on processing the reads post run. For trimming you only need to know what kit was used to prepare the libraries.

    Leave a comment:


  • mgbfx9
    replied
    Hi Dr. Bolger,

    Thanks for the Trimmomatic tool. I want to use the tool and just downloaded Trimmomatic Version 0.33 on my computer. But reading through its content and the manual, I was wondering whether I can use the tool for preprocessing of my Illumina PE MiSeq data? Because in its adapters directory, I see all TruSeq files, but not MiSeq. Could it be inside NexteraPE-PE.fa? However my DNA library was made by Nextera XT system.
    If your answer is 'yes', then do I have to change the name in my code from TruSeq3-PE.fa to NexteraPE-PE.fa ?

    Thank you in advance for your response!

    Leave a comment:


  • GenoMax
    replied
    repair.sh from BBTools will do that easily: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=61

    Leave a comment:


  • drdna
    replied
    Thanks for the insights. BaseSpace does a good job of adaptor trimming, demultiplexing. It's probably more efficient to just run the reads through a script to pair them up properly before downstream processing.

    Leave a comment:


  • drdna
    replied
    That's probably it - we use BaseSpace. My guess is that BaseSpace is filtering out pairs with poor quality. I'll have to look into that.

    Leave a comment:


  • GenoMax
    replied
    Only way I would see that happen is you get consistently bad quality reads on one end that are removed by MiSeq reporter/BaseSpace. Perhaps you should ask the tech to turn off on-instrument analysis (adapter trimming etc) and you can do that offline.

    Leave a comment:


  • westerman
    replied
    Settings would be in the sample sheet.

    Are you getting the reads directly from the sequencer or via BaseSpace? The latter may be doing some sort of trimming for you. Because we have a hiSeq and pre-existing pipelines we do not use BaseSpace but rather just grab the raw reads. Thus I am not familiar with BaseSpace but I do know that it can do a lot of useful processing.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    09-28-2026, 10:25 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...