Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Length to Gigabase conversion

Really dumb question: how do you mathematically convert reads into gigabases and then calculate coverage?

if I have 600 million clusters sequenced at 2*100, then is it 600*200=120,000 gigabases sequenced? Or is that megabases?

Then do you divide 120,000/3,000 (3 billion bases in human genome) = 40. So 40x coverage?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out how many clusters/lane I need to get when sequencing a whole genome, and then how many lanes our lab would need to run. Would also be curious what people are doing typically nowadays.

2x100 yields 200 = 2x10^2
    600M clusters = 6x10^8 clusters
    so 1.2x10^11 bases
    human genome approximately 3x10^9

1.2x10^11 / 3x10^9 = 0.4x10^2 or 4x10^1 so yes 40X coverage

Comment

Thanks krobison. Good to see the math confirmed. It's a little odd to me since I thought labs had to push cluster densities on the HiSeq a bit in order to get 30x coverage in three lanes, but that's only 150,000 clusters PF per lane, which isn't all that much nowadays. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoming1001 View Post
        ...but that's only 150,000 clusters PF per lane, which isn't all that much nowadays. Am I missing something?
        Yes, three orders of magnitude. . (I know it was probably just a typo.)

You need 150 million (150,000,000) PF clusters @ 2x100bp per lane to get 30X (90Gbp) in three lanes.

Illumina specifications are for 187.5 million PF clusters per lane; in practice this can be pushed to 200-220 million PF clusters per lane with minimal loss of quality.

Comment

Haha, yeah, I knew it in my head but skipped over it when writing it down.

I wasn't sure if there were any bioinformatics factors that would decrease the usable reads and therefore the lab would need to push higher on average.

Thanks though! My understanding is a lot more clearer now.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
          0 responses