No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subtraction of count data

Hi

I have rna sequence data for 4 biological samples: A_stim, A_back, B_stim and B_back. Ultimately, I would like to measure differential expression between 2 experimental conditions A and B. Before I can do this I have to subtract background counts for the two conditions i.e. subtract A_back from A_stim, and B_back from B_stim. I guess before I can subtract, I have to first normalise the samples e.g. convert to RPKM values, and then perform differential expression analysis on the subtracted RPKM values?? Does this seem like a valid way of doing the analysis? I usually use edgeR or DGEseq for differentail analysis, but I don't think they accept RPKM values?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I am not a statistician, but I would say that what you are trying to calculate
    by subtracting normalised background counts A_back from A_stim, is the DE between A_back and A_stim.

Are A and B biological replicates?

Comment

Hi mastal,

Thanks for your response.

This may be this is a better explanantion of my problem: let us say I have 2 types of cell, liver and heart, and each type of cell is subjected to 2 treatments, nil stimulation and stimulation. Rna is extracted and sequenced for the 4 samples - for simplicity lets ignore biological and technical replicates for now.
      First of all, I would like to subtract the 'nil stimulation' counts from the 'stimulation' counts for each cell type leaving us with 2 sets of counts: liver subtracted and heart subtracted. I would then like to calculate the differential gene expression between the 'heart subtracted' and 'liver subtracted' count data. How would you go about doing this?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't think you have to subtract the background, but your model does have to take into account the expectations. A rough example is, if you sequenced twice as many reads in one sample as another you need to calculate the probability that the proportion is significantly different than 2:1. The problem with subtracting the backgrounds, is you have the potential to end up with negative expressions, which doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
          by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
          05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
        • seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 05-14-2024, 07:03 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses