Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question and Answer Format: http://I.SEQanswers.com

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question and Answer Format: http://I.SEQanswers.com

    Please have a look at http://i.SEQanswers.com

    In response to comments in this thread, I've installed an instance of OSQA, a relatively new open-source content management system that is focused in a question and answer format.

    Most of you from the programming world are probably familiar with Stack Overflow (behind which sits the closed-source/business debacle Stack Exchange).

    The tag-based format is extremely powerful for organizing complex topics which span multiple forums....which is a major challenge with a traditional forum (ex...Does a 454 informatics question go in the Bioinformatics or 454 forums?).

    I'm not replacing the forums any time soon. I'm looking for any and all feedback (and perhaps a Django/Ruby programmer ).

  • #2
    Thanks a lot. This looks very interesting.

    Comment


    • #3
      As an replacement for the current forums, I think this system would be detrimental to an aspect of seqanswers that I value.

      Currently there is some possibility of having a public discussion on a given topic. I see the USENET-like back and forth of a discussion as a mechanism for coming to an understanding of a fairly complex issue.

      I don't want to be too harsh, because I'm sure this took effort for you to set up, ECO. But when I look at this layout, I think "lobotomized". I may be rushing to judgment, but that is the feel I get.

      Personally I would rather see something with better handling for threads than the current forum.

      (I tried to post this using the new system and my current login/password was rejected. Not sure what is going on there.)

      --
      Phillip

      Comment


      • #4
        I really like the newer format from stackexchange. I have an account on Stackoverflow and I have found it to be immensely helpful in ways I was not expecting. I think the main reason I like it is because its very convenient to browse certain areas I am interested in. I think the best way to describe this type of format is that it lets you show off to the world your knowledge both in asking and answering questions. If I see a great question or answer posted by someone, I can immediately go and see what else that person has posted and learn something I was not explicitly looking for. I feel its easier for me to learn more but there are also many benefits to a more linear discussion forum such as this one.

        Comment


        • #5
          Take a look at http://stackoverflow.com and http://meta.stackoverflow.com/ - you can *definitely* have discussions on this system (admittedly, this isn't obvious). The best part about this format is that useless comments get down voted and people with the same feelings don't have to repost cluttering up the question.

          Actually - you can pretty much think of it as a message board with voting, commenting and (hopefully) less duplication.

          e.g. http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questi...and-super-user

          Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
          As an replacement for the current forums, I think this system would be detrimental to an aspect of seqanswers that I value.

          Currently there is some possibility of having a public discussion on a given topic. I see the USENET-like back and forth of a discussion as a mechanism for coming to an understanding of a fairly complex issue.

          I don't want to be too harsh, because I'm sure this took effort for you to set up, ECO. But when I look at this layout, I think "lobotomized". I may be rushing to judgment, but that is the feel I get.

          Personally I would rather see something with better handling for threads than the current forum.

          (I tried to post this using the new system and my current login/password was rejected. Not sure what is going on there.)

          --
          Phillip
          Last edited by spenthil; 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM.
          --
          Senthil Palanisami

          Comment


          • #6
            User/Login/Statistic data seems not to be transferred, so I'd need to re-register??

            Comment


            • #7
              Yup, fortunately it uses OpenID.

              Originally posted by sklages View Post
              User/Login/Statistic data seems not to be transferred, so I'd need to re-register??
              --
              Senthil Palanisami

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sklages View Post
                User/Login/Statistic data seems not to be transferred, so I'd need to re-register??
                Login info hasn't been transferred yet. Looks like I will have to pay someone to code either a single sign on or an import, and I want to just see how the community reacts first.

                If we end up keeping both software packages, I will do my best to keep current forum credentials working on both sites (as I've done on the wiki).

                Sorry for the hassle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think that each thread occupies too much space with so many small buttons. The web page may be more informative and space efficient, if those buttons and the numbers on them are represented with just numbers in different colors.
                  Website: http://www.fengfengzhou.org/FengfengZhou/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've learned a lot here!!! Thanks all.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is there an RSS-feed that I'm missing?
                      Otherwise, that would be the one feature I'd really like to see.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ffinkernagel View Post
                        Is there an RSS-feed that I'm missing?
                        Otherwise, that would be the one feature I'd really like to see.
                        Nope, you didn't miss it. Next release which is expected anytime now.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spenthil View Post
                          Take a look at http://stackoverflow.com and http://meta.stackoverflow.com/ - you can *definitely* have discussions on this system (admittedly, this isn't obvious). The best part about this format is that useless comments get down voted and people with the same feelings don't have to repost cluttering up the question.

                          Actually - you can pretty much think of it as a message board with voting, commenting and (hopefully) less duplication.

                          e.g. http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questi...and-super-user
                          The lack of threading in this (vBulletin?) system does limit it. I'll give the new OSQA one a shot...

                          --
                          Phillip

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I like the format but couldn't post due to login issues.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
                              I like the format but couldn't post due to login issues.
                              It's beta...so for now you need to re-register or just use OpenID (ie, click on one of the provider logos while logged into that provider). If we stick with it, forum logins will work.

                              Sorry for the hassle.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X