Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi robs,
    THat was a misunderstanding. I just noted that you edited the Content part only and left the trimmed letter part, and I was asking if that was on purpose.

I agree concerning the future directions, although some statistics would fit in nicely as well (but maybe not at the end...)

Comment

• Robs, yes. Preliminary inquirey to PLoS editor is certainly. My only concern is that Nature/Science Correspondence does not permit the submitted thing to be "appeared" elsewhere.

Then, I propose use

(1) The one in "CONTENT" as the inquiry letter to PLoS Compu Bio.

And

(3) The "Trimmed letter" as the letter to Nat/Sci

do you think it is within Nature/Sci permission? (they are not the same anyway)

Originally posted by robs View Post
      This decision is totally up to you. It just sounded like you want me to contact the PLoS Editor and ask him about their interest in a article about SEQanswers. (Btw, they said they will take a look at the letter.) Also, PLoS is an open-access publisher and I am not sure if Science offers open-access.

I removed the last sentence with the stats and added a modified version of collindaven's suggestion for future directions. Take a look at it and see if you agree (especially ECO).
      Otherwise, it should be in reasonable shape to be considered for review and if you get ECO's ok, then you should go ahead and submit it to a journal.
      Marco

Comment

• Hi Marco

sorry I was busy the last few days. I reckon concerning Nature/Science allowing that, we could argue that we worked on this together. In theory it would be open like this, but it would be an interesting case. And none of these rules are set in stone.....

Also in the current trimmed draft there are a lot of what seqanswers is going to do, but that can always sound "overpromising" to the reviewers.

So I would potentially change the wording of SEQanswers is inviting a network of high profile bloggers to bring even more content to the site, thereby stimulating more vibrant discussion.

To include that we already have some bloggers posting here. (Unless you mean bloggers, that are also known beyond the natural sciences)

Cheers,
        Björn

Comment

• @marcowanger

I would probably send the short letter to Science and wait for their reply. They usually get back to you within a week and maybe we get some additional feedback on the letter.
          If Science is not interested, we should work on a longer version for PLoS CB and ask editors for support before we even submit it. This way, we might be able to get feedback faster.

Comment

• How about this for the final statement:

SEQanswers will continue to provide a platform for open discourse, allowing the rapid dissemination of knowledge and emerging issues to scientists all over the world.

Comment

• Hi robs. Let's give ECO a job to submit the letter after we finished the letter.

BTW, for Science correspondence, they said they won't give you reply. I remember you can consider your correspondence failed if they dont publish it within a certain period of time.

Letters should be 300 words or less and should discuss an item published in Science in the past 3 months or matters of general interest to our readership. Letters are not acknowledged upon receipt. Whether published in full or in part, Letters are subject to editing for clarity and space.
              Marco

Comment

• The Science submission site states that "Letters are subject to editing for clarity and space". Maybe, someone could ask ECO to take a look at it and give some feedback. I actually don't think that there will be many changes coming soon and whoever is going to submit it should set a deadline for people to make changes to the letter.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcowanger View Post
                  BTW, for Science correspondence, they said they won't give you reply. I remember you can consider your correspondence failed if they dont publish it within a certain period of time.
                  That's why it would be nice to have a connection to one of the editors. What is the "certain period" you are willing to wait?

(Sorry for the slight disconnect between the last post and your post. We probably wrote that at the same time.)

Comment

• This and the final revisions of the SEQwiki paper are on my weekend and monday morning train to-do list!

Comment

• Thank you so much ECO

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                      This and the final revisions of the SEQwiki paper are on my weekend and monday morning train to-do list!
                      Marco

Comment

• Hi guys,

Any news about the letter? Did the monday morning train give you a little inspiration ECO?

Comment

• Just my opinion, I think at this stage the letter may seems too subjective and sounds like an advertisement to others. Although the idea should stay the same, we may need to convey the idea in a more objective way.

But anyway, let's wait for Eric's reply first. Thanks Peter for pushing this.
                          Marco

Comment

• probably one more thing to write in the letter

Company announce up-coming software changes (matter to ALL bioinformaticians) in SEQanswers

Link: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8895
                            Marco

Comment

• How about:
                              An increasing number of companies use SEQanswers to announce new software releases and upcoming changes to their commercial software tools.

If there is enough space left, maybe we can add something about conferences as well. (Something along the lines of: conferences are discussed before and after the event, helping other people to choose the most suitable conferences for their research.)

Comment

• Dear all,

Please note the papers that appear in Oct issue of PLoS Comp Bio

1> BioStar http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4125508/Comm...ce/BioStar.pdf
                                2> "10 simple rules to get help from online community - by Wikigenes writing group"
                                http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4125508/Comm...es.writing.pdf
                                Marco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                                0 responses